PDA

View Full Version : foam wall made from live rock and placed in cycled system?

jayb12
07/03/2009, 08:51 PM
hey all, i got a 50 gal tank thats been cycled and has about 60lbs of live rock, ill be doing a 244 gal tank wall next week and would like to take my 50 gal tank and do the same,

only thing im worried about is will this crash my tank if i take the live rock out, brake it into smaller peices and foam it up and put it back in the tank?

ide like to do this tommorow as the tank needs a good cleaning anyway...

NanoReefWanabe
07/03/2009, 10:34 PM
i think it will kill your live rock...pretty sure it has to be fairly dried out to get the foam to stick and work properly...also most people coat the foam with epoxy/ fiberglass resin and that certainly wont be good for your tank until cured...likewise the foam takes a good bit of time to cure before you can add it to your tank, which will also kill your rock, then cause a major cycle in your tank..

jayb12
07/03/2009, 10:59 PM
damn, i kinda thought so, better to ask then be sorry

jayb12
07/03/2009, 11:14 PM
a question i have to ask is then when i make my wall from dried rock (base rock) and i place it in the new tank that is cycling wont all that dried dead rock start to rot? should i cure the wall in a seperate container before adding it to my 244 gal tank.

(it would be much easier to change the water in a rubbermaid bin then in a 244 gal tank )

NanoReefWanabe
07/05/2009, 03:18 PM
it all depends on how the dry rocks were treated for drying...if they were just left out to die, then there is likely a ton of organics trapped in the surface of the rock, if the rocks were chemically treated with bleach and then a mild acid bath and dried out then they should have no cycle to them..