PDA

View Full Version : normal behavior for maroon?

fahad09
07/03/2009, 09:49 PM
i have polyps in my tank along with other corals. i have had those polyps for awhile now and they have been sitting in the same spot for about 2 months now i think or more. the problem here is that my maroon clown which i have had for a year now has decided to knock over that specific polyp bunch. i thought it was the current in the tank pushing it off the rocks but one day i saw it doing this. its funny when it does it but then how do i stop it because i want the coral to grow onto that area. i tried other areas too and it finds it eventually and knocks it over. it doesn't do this for any other corals in the tank and this behavior just started about week or 2 ago. first time i have seen this or heard of it but any help with resolving this issue?

Sisterlimonpot
07/03/2009, 09:51 PM
Have you tried gluing them down with some epoxy putty?

Aquarist007
07/03/2009, 09:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15301591#post15301591 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sisterlimonpot
Have you tried gluing them down with some epoxy putty?
I agree or use crazy glue--gel

fahad09
07/03/2009, 09:54 PM
well...the polyps are growing from a small piece of rock.

Sisterlimonpot
07/04/2009, 08:37 AM
And the clown is knocking over the small piece of rock over? Glue the small rock to something that the clown can't knock over.

rgrobe
07/04/2009, 01:10 PM
I have a pair for about 13 years. They get very territorial and I have always had trouble when adding coral to the aquascape in their area. I have a 180 and they think the entire tank is their territory. Superglue or epoxy is the only way. Once they discover they can't move things around they will eventually accept them.

fahad09
07/04/2009, 01:19 PM
do i have to take out the coral and glue the rock base and then put it back in or can i just super glue it underwater? first time attempting to superglue a coral so i don't know the proper procedure if there is one.
thanks for the help!!

rgrobe
07/04/2009, 01:29 PM
I prefer to remove the coral or rock and apply the glue outside. It is easier to identify the high spots that will make contact once in place.

1DeR9_3Hy
07/04/2009, 04:38 PM
Pull the rock with coral attached out of the water, blot dry with some paper towel. Apply liberal amounts of super glue gel (MUST BE GEL TYPE), hold this in your hand for 10-20 seconds while the glue gets a skin on it. Once that time has passed, put it into the tank where you want it to stay and "smoosh" it down and hold it for a 60 count.

It may take a few tries to do it your first time, but you will be able to do it. The glue gets this thick skin that appears as soon as you put it into the water, this skin must be broken when you stick it to whatever you are sticking it too. If not, their will be no adheasion. This is why some people suggest giving the coral a little twist while you are "smooshing" it down.

Good luck

fahad09
07/04/2009, 04:43 PM
thanks for the very detailed reply. i will try that.