PDA

View Full Version : Does this pH probe look ok?

gotfrogs
07/04/2009, 02:29 PM
I am not having any luck with pH probes. I ordered a regular pH probe from Premium Aquatics but was informed that they were out of them. I upgraded the order to a lab grade probe so that I wouldn't have to wait but the probe arrived with the tip completely dry. I didn't want to risk paying for a damaged probe so I sent it back for a replacement. The replacement arrived and when I calibrated it I got a message that it was defective. This brings me to probe number 3.
http://www.gotfrogs.com/images/pH_Probe_with_Air.jpg
It also arrived with no fluid in the storage tip (blue salt crystals were on the exterior of the probe and on the foam padding). I have not attempted to calibrate it yet but wanted to get some feedback on weather it is normal to have air inside of a new probe. I have heard that it is normal to have air in a used probe but what about a new one? As you can see in the picture, there air in the outer chamber and also in the inner portion.
I am not sure if the stock of these probes is getting old or if they are getting damaged during shipping. It is literally 100 degrees down here in Houston right now and I am sure it is even hotter in the UPS truck. Either way, I don't want to be using a damaged probe on my tank.

kenargo
07/04/2009, 04:52 PM
Yes, this looks OK. Dry probes are a problem but I have always been successful in re-wetting them and living happily ever after. Place the probe in PH 4 calibration solution for a few days and then try to calibrate. DO NOT re-wet the probe using RO/DI water as that will damage it.

gotfrogs
07/04/2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks, it is now soaking.