PDA

View Full Version : zoan polyps base

bms270
07/04/2009, 03:28 PM
Hi,

I just bought some zoan polyps from store, they are sitting on an ugly square base. is there any way that I can take them off of the base or I need to keep that base?

Thanks,
Bijan

jenjen
07/04/2009, 03:54 PM
Much easier if you keep the base, as removing the polyps and trying to get them attached to your rock. I have a pair of tile nippers (normally used for ceramic tile) which I often use to nip back the plugs they come on, then epoxy it into the tank. Once the coral grows out a bit it'll cover the plug.

1DeR9_3Hy
07/04/2009, 04:33 PM
Removing the "mat" from the plug is doable, but you will risk killing your new corals if you attempt it.

I would just trim the plug with some pliers, then glue it down and forget about them for a month or two. By that time, you wont be able to see the plug :)

mfinn
07/04/2009, 05:02 PM
If you can cut under the polyp mat, being carefull not to cut into the polyp itself, then you can super glue it to a piece of live rock rubble.
You can take the frag out of the water and do it on a towel on a counter top, take your time. The polyps can be out of the water for 5-10 minutes with no harm to them.
I like to use super glue gel. It's easier to work with.
Once you have the polyps off the frag disk, put a big drop of glue on the piece of rock, stick the polyps into the glue, butt first and carefully put the newly glued piece in a cup of tank water for a minute, then back to the tank in a low flow area for a day or so to make sure the glue holds.