PDA

View Full Version : upside down jellyfish question

redvicki
07/04/2009, 10:15 PM
Not sure if this is the right spot for my question but I figure it's a good place to start. Has anyone had one in their tank? I really want one but only if they will survive in a captivity. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

philter4
07/04/2009, 10:30 PM
You should probably post this in the invert forum, but they are pretty easy to keep as far as jellies are concerned. they are photosynthic, so you have to have some pretty intense light, the same as for a reef, but they will sting corals so you have to keep them alone. They can't be kept with anemones either, they will either sting the anemones or get stung by them. They are fairly fish safe, though they do sting, they need a place where they can sit in the sand, up side down, and they don't move around well so they have to have clear spaces where the rock work wont trap and kill them.

Matt_Wandell
07/05/2009, 03:18 PM
Hey Phil, how are you!?!

Ideally they'd go in a tank completely devoid of rock, as it can damage their bells if they get snagged on it. The tank should have very low flow, intense MH light, and pumps need to be screened off or removed from the tank. That's about it...they don't need sand but it makes it look nicer of course. We keep our juveniles in shallow bare bottom fiberglass trays to grow them out. They're tolerant of nutrient rich water. Feeding can be done with cyclops, baby brine, etc. They'll reproduce like rats if you feed them well and often.