PDA

View Full Version : OT: HDR Question

MeuserReef
07/04/2009, 11:37 PM
OK, So HDR photography is all about composing multiple, exposure bracketed shots together to make a creative rendition of the scene or subject, correct? (with the help of a few PP apps)

I own a D60 that does NOT have the exposure bracketing feature (still wishing I would have sprung for the D5000). :furious:

Heres my question; What is the difference between taking a shot with a +2/-2 exposure bracket (resulting in 3 seperate RAW files) and taking ONE single shot, making 2 more copies of the RAW file, and adjusting the exposure compensation from within the RAW editing software? One "copy" could be set to -2, the other to +2 and the original would be at the metered exposure.

Am I lost here, or should I just relax that my D60 does not have the exposure bracketing?

Thanks,

Edit: <a href=http://www.stuckincustoms.com/>Trey Ratcliff's work</a> is what directed my attention to HDR potography.

Recty
07/04/2009, 11:54 PM
Yes, you can create HDR photos with a single photograph and adjusting the image through software.

I've been messing around with HDR lately and tried it, the results arent as good as when I actually let the camera take 3 separate photos, but it still looks decent.

MeuserReef
07/04/2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks Recty! Im just getting back into the photography world after a few year hiatus and would like to learn some of the more artistic, abstract styles that are out there, such as HDR.

Im sure that the in-camera bracket is best, as you are left with 3 ORIGINAL files, each with their own range of exposure manipulation possibilities.

Why I ever sold my beloved D70, I will never know.

Recty
07/05/2009, 03:50 AM
Here are two I was messing around with today that came out of a single exposure.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/Recty/IMG_8343.jpg

Now this next one is quite obviously worked up more than is needed ;) I was messing around with color balancing and went waaaay overboard on the water.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/Recty/duck001-1.jpg

Those are not at all "premium" examples of what you can do with HDR with a single exposure, neither of mine had a large range of light and dark to begin with, but it gives you an idea!

swjim
07/05/2009, 07:37 AM
You can put the camera in manual mode and bracket the shots by altering your shutter speed.

MeuserReef
07/05/2009, 07:46 AM
Recty, I appreciate the examples. IMO, dusk/dawn landscapes and night time cityscapes are the best candidates for HDR.

swjim, while readjusting the shutter speed between shots would work for landscapes, I dont think it would work out too well for what I intend to try to capture (night time cityscapes) as the scene would change too much between shots. Your suggestion is still appreciated, though ;)

swjim
07/05/2009, 08:46 AM
Gotcha. That makes sense.

bmwardo
07/05/2009, 03:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15306669#post15306669 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MeuserReef

swjim, while readjusting the shutter speed between shots would work for landscapes, I dont think it would work out too well for what I intend to try to capture (night time cityscapes) as the scene would change too much between shots. Your suggestion is still appreciated, though ;)

I think it is still worth a go, even with cityscapes. If you are going for long shutter speeds anyways, 3+ exposures of the same scene could make for some very interesting light trails. Assuming your software can still match up the images.

MeuserReef
07/05/2009, 03:44 PM
Well my D60 worries are over... I just got home w/ my D5000 :D

It wasnt just the Exposure bracketing that motivated the upgrade, but mainly the 11pt. autofocus vs. the 3pt AF on the D60.

Thanks ya'll for the feedback!

swjim
07/05/2009, 04:13 PM
Congrats!