PDA

View Full Version : More questions about cycling dry rock.

virginiadiver69
07/05/2009, 11:10 AM
Skimate vs. Prodibio type products?
Would skimate from my display act as a bacteria culture or would it just be food for bacteria in my rock vat?
Also...how would you rate the importance of skimming during cycling on a 1-10 scale? I ask because I do have a spare skimmer I can use but if it's not really needed I'd rather sell it.

rkelman
07/05/2009, 11:31 AM
Drop a couple raw table shrimp in and let er cycle. The rock is dry so there is no life to save by keeping the ammonia in check. I think the skimmer is irrelevant.

virginiadiver69
07/05/2009, 11:48 AM
I'm not merely looking for a basic cycle though. I wanna build as diverse a biological filter as possible before putting it in my new display.
Am I off base in thinking that the Prodibio type starter cultures are better suited for this?
I'm looking for more than "good enough".
IF the packaged starters like prodibio and the like are no better than the common methods (shrimp, urine, Damsels)...couldn't I just use fish food or skimate?
Also...would using skimate from my display be equivalent to using live rock or sand from the display? I ask because I'm purposely avoiding the live rock/sand for seeding to avoid, as much as possible, contaminating with aiptasia and bubble algae.

rkelman
07/05/2009, 01:23 PM
Hmm I'm not sure about that. It will become as diverse as the rest of the tank in time anyways.

Mentat
07/05/2009, 03:03 PM
Most dry rock have enough dead encrusted stuff that when immersed in SW will start decomposing. Only thing you need would be source of bacteria. If a pure bacteria culture is your goal (no Aiptasia, Algae, etc.), would use a commercial seeder like AP's Biozime, Seachem's Stability, etc. Using water, skimate, sand, rocks, etc. will introduce bacteria, with whatever is present in source tank.

Protein skimmer is not required as long as you do not overstock cycling container with rocks or they have lots of organic matter on them. In rare case you start process and Ammonia readings do not rise, just add some organic source like flake food to get a cycle going.

Testing for Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates will let you know how things are going and when first 2 hit zero, you are ready to add fish, etc. or move rock to DT. Since nitrification bacteria response to changes in bio-load are not instantaneous, adding fish slowly is recommended.

virginiadiver69
07/05/2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the responses...that answers my questions.