PDA

View Full Version : Algae Breakout after NeoZeo abuse

arod2051
07/06/2009, 02:00 AM
I'm on week 4 of the NeoZeo startup. Two weeks prior to following the manual, I followed the directions on the bottle for a new tank and fed about twice a day. I have since had a nasty brown filamentous algae breakout.

I am following the manual diligently, now. I am looking for help in
what to do. I dosed Vodka during the tank settling period prior to NeoZeo and my parameters were great with no algae, but my corals pasteled.

I have an exoticsfrags A. Millepora that is doing great and showing growth as well as a pink sandollar. Prior to these two pieces my other SPS pasteled while my Palythoa and Echinophyllia did relatively well.

Params:

Alk: 8.0
Ca: 425
Mg: 1280
NO3: 0PPM (double checked with LFS)
PO4: 0.02 meq/L (Hanna)
Temp: 78-79F
pH: 8.15 - 8.2

Light: Iwasaki 6500K (Might switch back to Radium 20000K) on M80 ballast
Photoperiod: 3Hrs T5 -> 5Hrs MH -> 3Hrs T5

Some pics of my nasty tank:

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo175/arod2051/IMG_0590.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo175/arod2051/IMG_0592.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo175/arod2051/IMG_0593.jpg

Should I continue with the NeoZeo method or sit back and wait until I solve the algae issue? I am sure NeoZeo is a remedy for algae, but I don't know if I am making it worse.

I use NeoZeo rocks, MB7, and RBF.

moo0o
07/06/2009, 04:32 AM
what light fixture are you using? just curious, i wanna use an m80 ballast..

Anyway, check that your Vortech is one of the newer ones and not the old one. More specifically, check that your wetside has the new gen2 upgrade. I had algae problems from the old magnet oxidizing/rusting.

Your tank is still pretty new, i would assume it'll go away eventually without you having to do anything.

I think the 3 day lights out method might work, but your SPS wont be too happy. Mine weren't and I only did it for 2 days.

SunnyX
07/06/2009, 07:39 AM
Looks almost like Dinoflagellates to me. Stop dosing a carbon source(Biofuel) for a week and increase the dosage of bacteria. If this does not help the issue you may have to lower your lighting period or take other actions. For now, lets just do this first step.

elijaher
07/06/2009, 09:27 AM
Cut back on vodka also.

arod2051
07/06/2009, 10:02 AM
Charles: I bought a used Sfiligoi and painted it black and put the M80 in the fixture.

In my build I ended up buying 3 different ballasts and ended up getting a core and coil. I still my get a Blue Wave 3 which is a remote M80 ballast.

I think I'll turn down my lighting period of my MH to 3-hours and lower the T5 down to 4-hours total. This will still give me a 7-hour photperiod but almost cut everything in half.

Sonny: First, congrats on the thread split. I've been following your tank thread and it is the reason I chose MB7 over Prodibio. I, too, like the fact I can dose daily versus a two-week period.

Yes! you are right they are dinoflagellates. Never had them in my two other tanks. At least not to the degree this tank has. I am using 100% dry marco rock too and only seeded with a small LR from my nano. I was hoping MB7 will prevent the need to seed.

I'll cut the RBF. In fact, the problem got worse when dosing the RBF during weeks 3 and 4. I'll basically start over and dose MB7, solely for a week. Vodka dosing alone did not cause any hair algae issues, but I also started feeding more so I can't point root-cause to RBF.

In my haste, I bought a toothbrush Tang from Colgate and went to town. I brushed off about 3/4 of the algae and changed my sock this morning.

arod2051
07/06/2009, 10:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15311101#post15311101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by elijaher
Cut back on vodka also.

Thanks! I cut the vodka when I started the NeoZeo system. It doesn't hurt to NOT do something so I cut the vodka and the RBF, both.

I'll go carbonless for a week. I am just wondering about source of the nutrients. It has to be the food. I don't have CuC because I don't like the way they look. I've always had a sizeable CuC in my other tanks, but wanted to see if a carbon dosing regimen will prevent the need for one.

I'll dump my two tiny blue-legged hermits from my nano tank in.

SunnyX
07/06/2009, 11:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15311270#post15311270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by arod2051
Thanks! I cut the vodka when I started the NeoZeo system. It doesn't hurt to NOT do something so I cut the vodka and the RBF, both.

I'll go carbonless for a week. I am just wondering about source of the nutrients. It has to be the food. I don't have CuC because I don't like the way they look. I've always had a sizeable CuC in my other tanks, but wanted to see if a carbon dosing regimen will prevent the need for one.

Dino's thrive off of light and some Po4.
These steps
HERE (http://www.rimlessreef.com/1/post/2009/04/dinoflagellates-and-the-treament-of.html) have always worked for me. I get Dino's every few months and must cut back my carbon dosing. As soon I see on strand of Dino's on the sandbed I immediately cut off all carbon dosing and increase my bacteria while raising my Ph with Kalk. Within a couple days the Dino's are gone having never been able to get a foothold in my tank.

arod2051
07/06/2009, 12:43 PM
Awesome! I'll follow this exactly and put the NeoZeo startup on hold until this is solved. I do have another tank I can place my corals in during the 'dark' period.

imisky
07/06/2009, 02:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15311270#post15311270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by arod2051

imo some source of algae cleaning is needed, CUC just makes live easier for us so we dont have to stand in front of our tank for ours picking out the algae. most people however throw way too much snails and etc into there tanks and end up watching them starve to death. hermits from my experience has to be the worst algae eating CUC anyone can get. You can always throw 2 turbos in there and let them clean it up and then remove them.

bacteria driven systems should allow you to achieve less algae, although not a tank which is algae free, everyone would want a tank algae free expect for coraline :)

it also looks like your tank is fairly new? the rocks could be leaching out PO4 to fuel the dinos

arod2051
07/06/2009, 03:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15312758#post15312758 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imisky
imo some source of algae cleaning is needed, CUC just makes live easier for us so we dont have to stand in front of our tank for ours picking out the algae. most people however throw way too much snails and etc into there tanks and end up watching them starve to death. hermits from my experience has to be the worst algae eating CUC anyone can get. You can always throw 2 turbos in there and let them clean it up and then remove them.

bacteria driven systems should allow you to achieve less algae, although not a tank which is algae free, everyone would want a tank algae free expect for coraline :)

it also looks like your tank is fairly new? the rocks could be leaching out PO4 to fuel the dinos

Yes it is a new tank. I borrowed a sea hare that is doing its job but there is way too much for it to handlek, solely. I've since took a toothbrush to the rock and turkey basted to keep the algae in suspension while my filter took it up. I hope the free-floating algae doesn't slip past a 200 micron sock.

The rock/sand did leach PO4 in the first month. In fact, with vodka dosing I was able to get a measured 0.18 meq/L to 0.01 meq/L over the course of two months.

Today my PO4 is measured at 0.02 meq/L but some of the latent PO4 is probably locked up in the algae too.

arod2051
08/17/2009, 06:30 PM
Update:

I was able to beat the dinoflagellate and diatom back using Sonny's guide on his website, rimlessreef.com.

My coral's color's are also coming back and everything is running great. I did have a flatworm issue, but that's another story.

Thanks for the help guys! I am currently dosing 2-3 drops of MB7 and 3.5mL of RBF, daily.

arod2051
08/17/2009, 06:30 PM
Double Post: Sorry

elijaher
08/17/2009, 07:23 PM
Glad to hear that.