PDA

View Full Version : Montipora, placing it on dead coral skeletons?

Maxi
07/06/2009, 11:15 AM
If I get lets say, a superman montipora frag, and I superglue it onto the skeleton of a dead coral... Will the superman encrust the skeleton, and make a cool looking SPS?

Really interested.. One coral dying from RTN, would be nice to make a new addition.

murphreef
07/06/2009, 12:34 PM
That would be interesting you should try it out... i would suspect that it would grow up the dead branches

Frankenpora
07/06/2009, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15311915#post15311915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Maxi
If I get lets say, a superman montipora frag, and I superglue it onto the skeleton of a dead coral... Will the superman encrust the skeleton, and make a cool looking SPS?

Really interested.. One coral dying from RTN, would be nice to make a new addition.

Yes.
Just make sure that the dead coral has been cured, or long dead
in the area you are attaching it to.

RockDocPro
07/06/2009, 04:19 PM
You can grow an encrusting coral onto a dead skeleton. But it probably won't retain the original shape or surface of the skeleton. It will usually smooth it out like covering it in thick wax, and even plate across to neighboring skeleton branches. That being said, it's still really cool.

ClownNut
07/07/2009, 07:34 AM
as long as you can keep algae off. you might better off try it on some dead skeleton of Monti cap other than dead acro.(unless it's some kinda dead stag)

SDguy
07/07/2009, 07:45 AM
Thick branch acros work great for this.

xtm
07/07/2009, 11:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15313541#post15313541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RockDocPro
You can grow an encrusting coral onto a dead skeleton. But it probably won't retain the original shape or surface of the skeleton. It will usually smooth it out like covering it in thick wax

This is what will most likely happen. It will encrust over the dead skeleton but the exact shape will not be retained - kinda like wrapping it in a clay putty. Mine just completely smothered a stylophora colony, it just engulfed it overtime.