PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Online: Best place to buy?

mapn4reef
07/06/2009, 01:01 PM
Need some advice on good places online to buy live rock.

Also list the type of rock suggested as the best from each vendor.

What about buying uncured rock, would this be OK?

And finally, what's the deal with "dried live rock"...like Marco and Ecco Rock? Is this usable stuff for a good reef?

Thanks.

Mathfreak71
07/06/2009, 01:51 PM
I don't feel comfortable giving much advice yet, but I take every chance I get to say good things about Premium Aquatics.

I bought everything but my tank, stand and canopy from them. I bought some Bali Alor cured live rock which is my favorite because it has lots of holes and natural caves for animals to move in and out of. I also bought some Indo Premium cured which is also a very nice looking rock. Much more solid. I was told both of these are more porous than Fiji and therefore better at the biological filtration of the tank. Finally, I bought some dry caribsea rock. I used this as base rock. Most of these pieces went on the bottom and built on top of it using the Bali Alor and Indo.

I really liked the cured rock. It shortened the cycling process and I didn't have to deal with any nasty smells that sometimes come with curing your own rock. The dealers are better equipped to properly cure the rock. IMO

reice05
07/06/2009, 02:10 PM
Checkout Atlanticseafarms.net fiji rock is 3.50/lb and live sand is .50c/lb

bsclarinet
07/06/2009, 03:08 PM
I bought my live rock from a LFS, but before I set up my SW tank, I talked to a guy that I met who was into SW, and he told me a lot of good things about www.tampabaysaltwater.com So you might want to check that out as well.

iFisch
07/06/2009, 03:21 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=393

'nuff said.