PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Illuminata (Rimless) problem or question

GQuinn
07/06/2009, 03:27 PM
I set this tank up last Thursday and the tank and seams were flawless. Today I noticed the upper right hand corner seam looked like the attached picture. I am concerened about its strength since it is rimless. I have contacted Oceanic but have not heard back from them. I wanted to see what others thought of it.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/86023P1000370.jpg

Gary

AcroporAddict
07/06/2009, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't worry about it from a strength point of view. Oceanic tanks are overbuilt.

What you could do, however, is get a Joe's Juice syringe and one of their metal applicator tips. Fill the syringe with some clear silicone, and use the metal applicator tip to come down into the void from the top, go to the deepest part of the void, then inject silicone and pull up the syringe as the void fills. That will greatly lessen the appearance of the flaw. I have done this before with a custom tank I had made, and it worked well. You'll have to discard the syringe/applicator needle after you are finished, however, because it will be useless for Joes Juice application after that.

Good luck. I like the Illuminata, but I can't figure out how you guys will get all that equipment under the stand with those supports down there?
Dave

CMcNeil
07/06/2009, 04:04 PM
i would get oceanic on the phone,the seam shouldnt be separating like that.

AcroporAddict
07/06/2009, 04:11 PM
The seam is not separating. It is a bit of air in the seam. Just a bit of shoddy adhesive work, but it will not affect the integrity of the tank.

I wouldn't worry about it if that is a back seam. But my suggestion will work if you try it.

I think you'd have a hard time getting Oceanic to replace it, but if it really bugs the cr@p out of you, then it is worth a try. Nothing like having to look at a flaw every time you see the tank.

They are expensive and the silicone work should be perfect, IMO, but in reality most tanks have these. I have them in an Oceanic 240 gallon (6 years old), and a Marineland 265 gallon. Both are fine and both have not had any issues.
Dave

GQuinn
07/06/2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the input guys. What concerns me is being a rimless tank there is no support except the seam. Yesterday this seam was fine and looked perfect, the way it looks today I am concerned.

Gary

gotfrogs
07/06/2009, 06:49 PM
That sucks, I hope I don't have that problem! I have had my tank for about two weeks now but have not added water yet. I am sure that Oceanic is going to come back and say that there is no problem with the flaw. I hope they are right.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15313450#post15313450 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AcroporAddict
Good luck. I like the Illuminata, but I can't figure out how you guys will get all that equipment under the stand with those supports down there?
Dave Tell me about it! I just ordered a sump that cost me more than the stand. Here is what I came up with:
Link to my design. (http://gotfrogs.com/images/57%20Gallon/SUMP.pdf)

GQuinn
07/06/2009, 07:00 PM
When I got this tank it was flawless. The seams, finish, everything was perfect. I thought it was a great product until today. That seam was perfect yesterday. I am not sure it won't grow bigger and eventually fail.

Gary

AcroporAddict
07/06/2009, 11:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15314478#post15314478 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GQuinn
When I got this tank it was flawless. The seams, finish, everything was perfect. I thought it was a great product until today. That seam was perfect yesterday. I am not sure it won't grow bigger and eventually fail.

Gary

Gary,
If you are sure the void was not there when you bought it, then you might have a problem. I would just keep water in it and observe it before setting it up as a reef.

It just seems that the seam would separate uniformly from the top down, and not be a small line void in the middle of the seam like the pic shows.

Rennsport
07/07/2009, 12:08 AM
May wish to measure the void, then monitor over the next few weeks

RokleM
07/07/2009, 06:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15316069#post15316069 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rennsport
May wish to measure the void, then monitor over the next few weeks

Agreed. As mentioned, I wouldn't rush to get things in there.

If you feel it's starting to separate, use a large clamp to hold it together until you figure things out and/or get it sorted out with Oceanic.

Jeffrey NY
07/14/2009, 10:57 PM
Just got my today, look what I've found 15" long.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/reefman180/IMG_0351.jpg

gotfrogs
07/22/2009, 08:28 PM
You guys have me scared to add water to mine!

nanoguy
07/22/2009, 11:58 PM
Any updates on how the tank is doing?

GQuinn
07/23/2009, 10:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15401011#post15401011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nanoguy
Any updates on how the tank is doing?

I watched this seam for a couple of weeks and there was no change to it from the picture above. Oceanic had contacted me and was going to replace the tank, but since the seam appears to be holding I decided to keep the one I had.

Gary

AcroporAddict
07/23/2009, 12:26 PM
I had heard Oceanic was not good about honoring defective tank warranties, but maybe that was before All-Glass bought them and moved the operation to Wisconsin. Good for you, at least they offered.

You can still do the silicone injection thing I told you about. PM me if you want specific details. I did it to a small void in my custom 100 gallon tank, and you don't even see it anymore. More aesthetic than structural, I'm sure.
Dave

GQuinn
07/23/2009, 04:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15403364#post15403364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AcroporAddict
I had heard Oceanic was not good about honoring defective tank warranties, but maybe that was before All-Glass bought them and moved the operation to Wisconsin. Good for you, at least they offered.

You can still do the silicone injection thing I told you about. PM me if you want specific details. I did it to a small void in my custom 100 gallon tank, and you don't even see it anymore. More aesthetic than structural, I'm sure.
Dave

I did that yesterday and it looks great. Thanks for the info.

Gary

marioensf
08/22/2009, 07:15 PM
Well, if you are paying such amount of money for a high-er end tank, shouldn't it be flawless?
What would be the purpose of being rimless and polished beveled edges if not for "SHOW"?
I'm always on a budget and if I get something cheap or used I'm aware might be not "as new or flawless" but if I'm spending BIG bucks on a new tank then better be.

tufacody
08/22/2009, 09:17 PM
I agree completely. If Oceanic offered to replace, I do it in a heartbeat. Rimless tanks are supposed to be beautiful, not flawed.

Macimage
08/22/2009, 09:50 PM
I would definitely replace it, especially if Oceanic has offered to give you a replacement.

Joyce

amore169
08/22/2009, 11:38 PM
I would also had them replace it too, that's a pretty expensive tank.

Toadally
03/01/2010, 01:28 PM
Just set my tank up over the weekend and noticed this......

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss346/Toadallync/Reef%20Tank/100_1021.jpg

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss346/Toadallync/Reef%20Tank/100_1022.jpg

from what I'm reading here it must be crappy workmanship

Toadally
03/01/2010, 03:38 PM
^^^^

redbrick1
08/24/2010, 05:20 PM
I've got an oceanic Illuminata Reef version tank too and I've also got a few splits like that....but not that long...about an inch or so. Have you folks noticed that the tank really bows when you fill it up? Put a leveler or any straight edge up against it....scary looking. I called my local fish store about this and they have already been in contact with Oceanic and claim that this is normal...

Tetra84
01/28/2012, 08:28 PM
It's been a few years since you guys posted your Illuminata's.. I was wondering how they are holding up? I just got mine day before yesterday and filled it up to do a leak test.. Noticed about a 1mm bow on the front and 1.5mm bow on the back. Kinda concerned about that, how are your's doing after a few years time?

gotfrogs
01/28/2012, 09:36 PM
Mine is still kicking. I took this pic this week.
http://gotfrogs.com/images/57%20Gallon/57%20Gallon%201-17-11.JPG

gotfrogs
01/28/2012, 09:41 PM
Wrong picture, that was a few months ago. Here is the one from this week.
http://gotfrogs.com/images/57%20Gallon/57GallonFullTankShot1-25-12.JPG

Tetra84
01/28/2012, 10:12 PM
Wrong picture, that was a few months ago. Here is the one from this week.
http://gotfrogs.com/images/57%20Gallon/57GallonFullTankShot1-25-12.JPG

Nice! Do you notice any bowing on the front or back of your tank? I assume the glass is 3/8" thick on yours. If you put a yard stick on the top on the inside edge of the front.. do you have any gap near the center of the glass and the edge of the yard stick? Like I said, I've got about a 1mm gap when I measure it like that. I'm just curious how it'll hold up in the long run..

kc350twin
01/29/2012, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't stress it too much. Like many have said just measure it and keep an eye on it. Even with my miracles tank there was imperfections in the silicone work. It comes from being hand made and not machine made.

Kc3

OldFishy
02/15/2012, 11:45 AM
Here is my Illuminata after having water in it for 7 days. Other than the misalignment of the front and the right side pane, the joints were all visually perfect when I received the tank.

These gaps were not present Monday. I noticed them Tuesday evening. They are wide enough to slip a piece of paper in. They are .09" deep. Deep meaning from the right side of the glass to the left edge of the separation. I put marks using a sharpie to outline the gaps.

I'm going to contact the store I bought it from and see what they can do. In any case, I'm draining the tank tonight.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7407/gap01.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9199/gap02.jpg

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/5040/misalignment.jpg

smbsocal
02/15/2012, 12:21 PM
These gaps were not present Monday. I noticed them Tuesday evening. They are wide enough to slip a piece of paper in. They are .09" deep. Deep meaning from the right side of the glass to the left edge of the separation. I put marks using a sharpie to outline the gaps.

I'm going to contact the store I bought it from and see what they can do. In any case, I'm draining the tank tonight.

I wouldn't worry too much if the gaps were not visible before filling it up. I would be worried if after a day of it being filled the separation increased in size.

My tank has the thin line for the middle that a lot of people have on theirs and a small V at the top left side. When I filled my tank up the separation lines grew a little bigger but haven't grown since the initial filling. I am still way off from putting the tank together but I have had it 60% filled for the past couple of weeks just to monitor the separation and it hasn't changed since the initial filling.

OldFishy
02/15/2012, 12:22 PM
I talked to the store that I bought it from and they're going to order a replacement.