PDA

View Full Version : Anemone+lunch time clams=disaster?

cabrego
07/07/2009, 08:25 PM
Hi,

I found my clam out of its shell today dead, I am not sure how or why it died but it was caught up in a colony of zoas. To make a long story short, I pulled out the clam from the zoas and feed it to my bubble tip anemone.

Apparently this turned out to be a bad move because I just got home and the anemone has spit out something (8 hrs later) and is severely wilted and looks horrible. I pulled out the remaining piece of what I think is the clam and tossed it out. It smelled nasty btw.

I was wondering if anyone know why this might of happened. Is it possible the clam was poisonous? Any comments would be great thanks!

Toddrtrex
07/07/2009, 08:33 PM
The nasty smell was the reason your anemone looks awful now. Think of it this way, imagine how you would feel if you ate some seafood that smell like the clam did. Sure that you would throw up (( similar to what the anemone did )) and look pretty bad.

I have never heard of a clam coming out of its shell, so for that to happen, I have a feeling it was dead for a while, and was already starting to decompose. I would suggest doing a water change and running some fresh carbon.

cabrego
07/07/2009, 08:52 PM
Well, I just hope the anemone bounces back. As far as water change, do you think I should check the parameters first?

The clam was only 2 or so inches and the water volume is about 125 g. I also run carbon 24/7. Are you suggesting a water change to off set any sort of fouling of water quality?

rendogg
07/07/2009, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't worry about it if your params are in check. I think your anemone will be fine too, they also puke up their lunch if it was too big and get all shriveled up after.

cabrego
07/07/2009, 09:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15322049#post15322049 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rendogg
I wouldn't worry about it if your params are in check. I think your anemone will be fine too, they also puke up their lunch if it was too big and get all shriveled up after.

I think you are right, it is possible that her meal was just too large. I checked on her again and she has already perked up a bit so it looks like she will be ok.

scottwhitson
07/08/2009, 12:47 AM
After anemones eat they have to expel waste. If I feed mine a big serving it will do the same thing yours is doing.