PDA

View Full Version : Second mantis caught with pics - some discussion

CloruroDiSodio
07/08/2009, 09:43 AM
Hi gang,

Well I caught a second "smasher" type mantis the other day, this one was just about the same size as the first and made the same cracking noises in the tank. I had some general questions/comments regarding these guys (and possibly pistol shrimp).
First off, I'm starting to think these guys may not be as bad as most people think. I mean I had two of them since day 1 and other than hearing them I never would have known they were there. No snail deaths, my peppermint shrimp was fine etc. Other than some pods getting it they really didn't hurt anything. I caught this one and had it in a glass jar for a couple of days and it never showed any aggression. Anyway that's my 2 cents.
Now second point. I think I may have heard some more popping. This seems a little different though. The tone of the sound is the same but it is not as loud and it only pops once. With these two mantises they would pop multiple times most of the time and it was louder. Do pistol shrimp sound like this? Do they normally have quieter pops? Are pistol shrimp bad? I've only heard the pop a couple of times in the last week but haven't seen anything.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/209990mantis1.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/209990mantis4.jpg

Sugar Magnolia
07/08/2009, 10:54 AM
Nice catch! :thumbsup: Pistols generally only pop once, unless soemthing is bothering it. Mine will pop a few times if a snail or crab gets too close. It can pop really loud sometimes.

CloruroDiSodio
07/08/2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Sugar Magnolia, thanks for the reply. What would you say the "pop" sounds like? The one I hear sounds like a mix between a tree branch cracking and billiard balls hitting. How reclusive is your pistol shrimp? I've tried to search during full lighting, "dawn/dusk" actinic period, and at night with a red light and I have yet to see anything. I'm just wondering if it's another smaller or different species of mantis.

brdracing
07/08/2009, 12:13 PM
As far as the mantis shrimp goes I had one in my 72 gallon tank and it took over the hole of my Pearly Jawfish and when the jawfish went back to check out his old hole the Mantis shrimp got him and ate him. I seen it with my own eyes.
If you are still hearing the sound my guess is you still have a smaller mantis in the tank.
Brooks

CloruroDiSodio
07/08/2009, 12:38 PM
Hi brdracing, thanks for the info. The sound is a little different compared to the other two. It only seems to happen at night, one pop at a time, and with very little frequency. the other mantis would do multiple loud pops at any time in the day or night

terryagi
07/08/2009, 12:46 PM
Just to rule it out, the sound is not coming from a hermit crab hitting the glass with its shell, right? That sound would not be as loud as a mantis. Granted, it would not be as loud as the sound you described either.

brdracing
07/08/2009, 02:02 PM
CloruroDiSodio:
My mantis would only click one or 2 times a night. I am not saying it is a mantis but just don't rule it out just yet.
terryagi makes a good point too about the hermit crab I have that happing too right now and with the 2 mantis shrimps that I have got out of my tank make me uneasy everytime I hear it! LOL

If you find out what is making the noise let us know I would like to see what it is so maybe I can rule out that I don't have anymore mantis shrimps in my tank.

Thanks for the info
brooks

singold
07/08/2009, 02:40 PM
My Astrea snails knock the glass side with shell twisting, also. Or if another snail or crab is by its shell. Do you have Astrea snails. Also, you could probably draw out a Pistol Shrimp if one is in there by getting a goby for it to pair up with.

VacavilleFC3S
07/08/2009, 03:44 PM
mantis generally don't click at night, they are not nocturnal, usually closing there den/hole up for the evening with a few pieces of rubble.

pistols on the other hand are nocturnal

CloruroDiSodio
07/09/2009, 05:29 AM
Hey guys,

Good thoughts. I do have astrea snails but no hermits. Regarding the pistol shrimp, if I don't have a goby do you think I will ever see it?