PDA

View Full Version : FOWLR Turnover?

BackSpin
07/08/2009, 09:43 AM
Hello I am in the middle of completeing a 200g corner pentagon tank and am looking for some hands on knowledge of what kind of turnover I should have in my tank? I have know way of doing power heads or anything over the back since this is a custom build in to a corner.. Thanks for any help that is offered..

DamnPepShrimp
07/08/2009, 10:38 AM
Depends on what your keeping. If its lionfish or other fish that don't like a lot of flow, obviously less. I have a lot of tangs and angels, so I have a 65x turnover rate in my 210g, a bit extreme but I want to get an achilles at one point as well.

danorth
07/08/2009, 10:42 AM
3-4 times through your sump for the skimmer's sake, as high as your fish can appreciate in the tank. Why can't you have powerheads in the tank?

BackSpin
07/08/2009, 10:55 AM
Cause all vortech models can not be wet on back side , and there is no back of tank to mount any type of magnet to Ect. Is there a way around this..? I have the tank drilled for a Closed loop in bottom. So I will have to add it from hear, at this time I am pulling about 800-900 gph through my sump and skimmer..

danorth
07/08/2009, 11:24 AM
Well, all you can do is all you can.....if the closed loop is going to be the circulation, make sure it is good and strong. That sounds fine for the sump and skimmer.

If there is a side where you can mount a powerhead? You said it is a pentagon, so I am guessing 3 sides would be seen, 2 hidden....so perhaps you could put it on one of the 3 (exposed?) sides?

BackSpin
07/08/2009, 12:46 PM
Yea this would be a display side and I can not have cords on front of tank...

babs72101
07/08/2009, 12:51 PM
I have seen a corner tank that they put the powerheads on braces in the top corners and pointed them down.

BackSpin
07/08/2009, 01:40 PM
I am real intrested in the Vortech style due to there clean look and high output but the dry side must stay dry, I was going to stick to inside my overflow but it is now full of water due to noise falling 30" to bottom of drains. I guess I could always cut the wall open from the other side and cut out a piece of drywall stick the magnet on back of tank and seal up the wall.. My wife will love when I tell here "But honey this is normal and the only way" LOL