PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate nightmare!

flrn
07/08/2009, 12:25 PM
Ok, so as you can guess, I'm having problems with my nitrates. Welcome to the club huh?.. This is what I've done so far. I replaced all my RO/DI with new filters and membrane, and am now getting a 0ppm reading. cut back on feedings to every other day, and slow feed to make sure that they eat all the food that goes into the tank. I've been doing water changes out the wazzooo and still am reading 25 on the low scale of salifert test kit. I have a phosban reactor and chagned all the media. No phosphate test kit as of yet, but am working on it. I have NOT vacumed the sand bed b/c I'm afraid of a shift in amonia/nitrite release into the tank. I currently have no algae, but slight brown diatome on the glass... any clues ?... No more room in the sump either for another reactor.

flrn
07/08/2009, 12:27 PM
Forgot to mention, I am using brightwell products, and make sure that no other biological load is added to the tank. I have a refugium, with some culeripa, and cheto.

alleykat81
07/08/2009, 12:46 PM
You didn't mention a protein skimmer. Are you running one that's rated high enough for your bioload? Tangs are huge waste producers. Not to be the tang police, but two tangs (even one) in that size tank is too much, IMO.

flrn
07/08/2009, 02:55 PM
Yes, I have a protien skimmer, and only have 1 tang now... lost my regal tang yesterday. Of course I couldn't figure that one out, she looked healthy and was a big eater in the tank. So now, as far as fish go, i have a clown fish, PJ cardinal, orange spotted goby and Yellow eyed tang. 4 fish for a 65 gal tank with 20 gal refug shouldn't be too much. My protien skimmer is the Marineland Marine Series Advanced In-Sump Skimmer. It took a few months to break in, but it pulls off at least a half to 3/4 cup of skim a day.

alleykat81
07/08/2009, 09:08 PM
I'm not familiar with that skimmer. I would post this in the chemistry forum. There are usually a lot of threads about high nitrates levels.

Eric the half-bee
07/08/2009, 09:15 PM
Is it causing duress in your animals? My tank runs 40-65 commonly due to bioload, feeding, etc. SPS do not like it but none of my other animals seem to be harmed-inverts, fish, LPS, leathers. Unless your having ill effects, I think we worry too much about nitrates.

sedor
07/08/2009, 09:30 PM
Sheesh, seems like your doing everything you possibly can! Do you have a deep sand bed? How long has the tank been running?

nikon187
07/08/2009, 09:59 PM
Not saying you should do it but have you looked into carbon dosing? ( Vodka, sugar, zeo vit, ultra lith, vinegar ect.) is proven to lower nitrates and phosphates when used correctly. You need to read up on it before hand and understand how it works, but it does indeed work

eros
07/08/2009, 10:00 PM
How long has your system been setup? I went through a period when I had fairly high nitrates in my tank at around 4-6 months. I dosed Vodka temporarily to bring them down which worked for a while, then they creeped back up. I dosed Vodka again until they dissapeared and have since stopped and they have not returned. I feed quite heavily too. You might want to give Vodka a shot (get it... shot...? lol)

sikpupy
07/09/2009, 06:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15327926#post15327926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eros
You might want to give Vodka a shot (get it... shot...? lol)

Uhm................yea........ Was that really needed this early in the morning? :lol:

flrn
07/09/2009, 07:04 AM
yes, I have a deep sand bed, and have been told to vacum it, but i've been leary of that route. I've heard of Vodka dosing, but doesn't that just add more bio load to the tank?.. and no, my fish and corals do not seem to be affected, HOWEVER, I do not want to run into a problem with algae. I've torn down my tank b/c of algae and will not do that again. This tank redo has been up since 3/8/09. I've posted pics but not sure how to place them in the thread.