PDA

View Full Version : Using a veggie clip...

golby
07/08/2009, 02:08 PM
Okay, so I have a veggie clip and I have "Sally's Seaweed Salad" purchased from LFS. I rip up a bit and clip it in the clip and suction the clip to the wall. But I have no takers--after 6 or so hours I remove it. Day after day. I have a Yellow and a Kole Tang (with a coral beauty, two ocellaris and three YT damsels) that I thought would be big eaters. Don't get me wrong both, but the Kole especially, are constantly grazing on my LR. And the other fish gobble my flakes, frozen brine and sinking pellets (I change up what I feed them on a daily basis).

Is there a location that's better than others? Should I suction it low down, high up, near the LR, far from the LR? Do they need to "learn" to eat from the clip?

Any suggestions?

dots
07/08/2009, 02:44 PM
Put it in an area where they hang out, don't make them swim up to the top of the tank, out in the open.

Try a different type of seaweed, try the red if your feeding green.

If you tear it up and feed, do they eat it then?

jenjen
07/08/2009, 03:01 PM
I've had my Kole tang over a year, and he just recently started eating off the clip. He likes it when the nori is attached to a piece of rock at the bottom of the tank, although now that he's discovered the clip he eats off it as well - seems he was just a slow learner.

I'd try attaching the clip to the side or back wall where they aren't so out in the open, or attach the seaweed to something else in your tank and see if they'll take it then.

Aquarist007
07/08/2009, 05:40 PM
consider feeding on a pole--and occasionally using romaine lettucee- every fish in my tank goes wild about it

Pole feeder:

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=291

letzfly
07/08/2009, 05:49 PM
I have a Kole and a yellow......my clip is up top and it took about a week before they got used to it...and the purple algae is favored over the green.....and it took the less shy yellow tang to coax the kole to eat from the clip.

letzfly
07/08/2009, 05:51 PM
oh yeah try leaving the clip in all the time.......so they get used to it.

golby
07/10/2009, 02:50 PM
I moved the clip to be a bit closer to the rockwork and left the clip in (removing just the food after 6 hours) since your suggestion about two days ago and I just replaced the food and lo and behold, for the first time, the yellow tang was ripping pieces off and eating them. Yes!

Thanks folks.

der_wille_zur_macht
07/10/2009, 02:53 PM
It's also worth "flavoring" the nori with something they'll like. If there is a frozen food they go crazy for, try rubbing a bit on the nori. Or, try one of the garlic additives available at your LFS.

EnglishRebel
07/10/2009, 03:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15326265#post15326265 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
consider feeding on a pole--and occasionally using romaine lettucee- every fish in my tank goes wild about it

Pole feeder:

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=291

Cap'n do any of them pole dance afterwards? :lol:

Aquarist007
07/11/2009, 08:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15337775#post15337775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EnglishRebel
Cap'n do any of them pole dance afterwards? :lol:

no but I've had wrasses that can do a mean carpet surf:eek2: