PDA

View Full Version : Do you treat every fish that you buy? (in a quarantine tank of course)

nevolved
07/08/2009, 03:53 PM
If so, what do you use?

Thanks,

romanr
07/08/2009, 04:15 PM
I don't. My LFS does, he treats with copper and has some high tech equipment to monitor the concentration levels. He treats for at least a week. When the fish get moved over to the regular tanks he has either cleaner shrimp or cleaner wrasses in the tanks with tangs. I feel pretty comfortable with his routine and haven't had a problem with any of his fish.

Macimage
07/08/2009, 05:12 PM
Yes, I use Prazi Pro after reading this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1260067&highlight=flukes

However, my Tinker's Butterflies reacted very poorly to the Prazi Pro, as did one other RC member's Tinkers.

Joyce

WrinkleFreeZone
07/09/2009, 11:20 AM
Every new addition goes into quarantine for observation. I don't treat unless there is something to treat. Maybe it's a carry over from medicine, but hammering a stressed fish with copper or some other treatment without a need to do it isn't the way that I practice.
-B

nevolved
07/09/2009, 11:22 AM
Thank you for all of your responses.

Gwynhidwy
07/09/2009, 11:30 AM
I treat all fish with Prazipro, but don't treat with any other medications unless symptoms warrant it.

goldmaniac
07/09/2009, 12:36 PM
I have always pretty much ignored ich in my tank.
if an outbreak occurs, usually during a new addition, I would Garlic Press a couple cloves of raw garlic into the tank every couple of days for about 2 weeks.

I'm now unsure if the garlic works, but i never had any fatalities due to ich.

Last April, i had an outbreak that killed most of my tank.

My tank is now ich free and i QT specifically for ich. i use hypo treatment. s.g.=1.008 for 4+ weeks.

I don't know if hypo treats flukes or anything else.
I've killed a few fish QT'ing with copper, keeping levels just under the recommended 0.5 ppm level, or whatever the .5 level is.

lilalove
07/09/2009, 02:09 PM
You haven't lost a fish in hypo? I've read extensive exposure to hypo damages the kidneys of the fish because they can't excrete properly. I FW dip with methylene blue, then into QT for 4 weeks. I don't treat unless symptoms present themselves and I can diagnose the problem.

Alaskan Reefer
07/09/2009, 03:21 PM
Like goldmaniac, I lost all of my fish to an ich outbreak last November when I introduced a powder brown tang. I had been reefing for 7 years without QT, but it only took one wipeout to change my practices. I now QT every fish that I want to introduce, but only medicate if I see signs of a problem. I have lost a few during QT, but it's a small price to pay to keep the ones that have made it to the DT healthy.

goldmaniac
07/10/2009, 08:09 AM
no, haven't lost a fish to hypo yet. I'm on my 2nd tang, too. I note tangs because my experience is that they're more fragile than any other genus. Lost 2 tangs to copper.

chocolate mimic tang
and now a 2" hippo tang currently at 1.011 (still decreasing salinity, slowly)

maroun.c
07/10/2009, 08:14 AM
Does anyone modify his routin depending on fish?
I 'll be adding a PBT after having just lost one and considering that those are ich magnets I'm considering treating with 4-5 weeks of Hypo for precaution?