PDA

View Full Version : Drywall and reefing??

mg426
07/09/2009, 03:40 PM
I am going to be doing some major remodeling in my home. My aquarium is very near where the demo is to take place. This will involve removing existing drywall. I am quite sure that a good deal of drywall dust will be created. I planned on covering the tank during this project. I dont like the idea of leaving the tank covered for long periods of time. I intend to provide ventilation and be a carefull as I can, However I am sure that there will most likely be some lingering drywall dust in the air. Any one ever done this near their Tanks? Just how bad is Drywall (gypsum) on our aquariums??

mg426
07/09/2009, 05:21 PM
Anyone ??

Shane Hoffman
07/09/2009, 05:36 PM
If I were you ....if its a long drawn out project I would frame a temp box around it and cover it in plastic, duct taping all of the seems, Then run an in and out fan for fresh air in and fresh air out.....the air In fan needs to have a tube hooked to it running to a source of air that is not contaminated....wether its a seperate room or even outside....

billdogg
07/09/2009, 05:38 PM
I finished my entire basement (2200sqft, 140 sheets of drywall) with my open topped 120 sitting there the entire time. Other than the lights getting very dusty, I had no problems at all.

jimsplace
07/10/2009, 04:03 AM
If I remember correctly, gypsum is a form of calcium anyway. I have done drywall work near my tank and just took the basic precautions of covering the tank etc. I filter all my air going to skimmer any way to knock out dust particals. I am always more concerned with paint fumes (ammoinia smell sometimes) but have never had a problem, just parinoia I guess.

GTriever
07/10/2009, 04:59 AM
Cover it with a sheet while you're working, uncover it in the afternoon when you quit. Also, are you going to be running an air cleaner during this? Worth every penny for reducing airborne particles!

WaterssretaW
07/10/2009, 06:15 AM
I had the same question when I was hanging my pendents. Apparently, the drywall itself is okay in small amounts; however, its the other contanaments within the walls you have to worry about.

I would say just cover the tank the best you can.

inovrmyhd
07/10/2009, 07:29 AM
I just redid my living room. fixed plaster, drywalled 2 walls, new flooring and textured ceiling. I took my tank down and moved it to a different room. It only took about 4 hrs to move and was worth my peace of mind.