PDA

View Full Version : Help figure out what it is

TAttel
07/09/2009, 05:42 PM
Sorry no pics but I noticed two things on my initial cycle with my live rock. First noticed a white cobweb type thing on one coral and then on another a white cottony growth on another. Just off hand what are they and do I need to take action? Thanks for the help

evsalty
07/09/2009, 05:46 PM
What kinds of corals are they? Leathers will shed skin/slime in a web like fashion every now and then. Others will also shed slime.

One question though....how old is your tank? You are saying that you are just finishing your initial cycle but you already have corals in the tank? This could be stressing the corals which inturn causes them to slime over.

TAttel
07/09/2009, 05:47 PM
sorry I meant live rock not coral

evsalty
07/09/2009, 05:48 PM
Well I would need to see pics before I could help any further. I have never seen anything like what you are describing coming off of my rock.

Henry Parsons
07/09/2009, 05:48 PM
just part of the cycling process, i'm sure someone has a link to a good hitchhiker/invertibrate id page

KarlBob
07/09/2009, 05:50 PM
Pictures help. They help a lot.

Purely on a shot-in-the-dark basis, the cobweb could conceivably be a spaghetti worm, and the cottony growth could be a sponge. Or they could be totally different things.

Try this site (http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html) for pictures of lots of common hitchhikers.

TAttel
07/09/2009, 06:03 PM
Based on the pictures on your link karlbob it looks like foraminiferan or fungal algae for the cottony one not see anything for the cobweb i guess i will watch and hope my cuc gets it in a week or so

Henry Parsons
07/09/2009, 06:05 PM
did it look like this http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/worms/photoalbum_photo_view?b_start=7
sorry i cant post the pic but these look similar to the stuff thats on my live rock- cycling my 30g tank with ~30lbs of live rock from my lfs. they said the rock was from someones tank who was moving and just traded it all in. Anyway it has these little worms that spit out a web and then pull it back in and i guess eat the debris on it. There are also ones that look like a snails but stay permanently in their tubes. Definitely check out some of those id sites or just post some pics