PDA

View Full Version : Is this algae harmful to SPS?

RedEDGE2k1
07/10/2009, 09:58 AM
This pink/purple stuff came on one of my coral frags many months ago and has since spread across about 30% of my rockwork. It doesn't appear to be harming any of my coral, however my tank is predominantly SPS so I'm worried it may continue growing and eventually overtake the SPS. Should I be worried about that?

I don't know what this stuff is, so I haven't been able to research it. If I need to remove it, what is the best way? Taking apart my aquascape to scrub/brush every rock is not an option. I can pull it off with my fingers but it's also in many areas that I cannot reach without breaking my SPS. Any livestock options to help control it (if need be)?

Thanks for any help-
Dustin

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff269/smithdu/PinkStuff.jpg

kretzkiller
07/10/2009, 10:01 AM
I have that too. It is a major PITA. I bought a sea hare and it seems to like it.

KellyPug
07/10/2009, 10:39 AM
I have this algae in my biocube 29 and I tried a couple sea hares (at different times) and they both ignored it. So it could be hit or miss with a sea hare. I have found that my yellow tang (in my 60gal) likes to it eat. I would take a rock with algae and plop it in with the yellow tang for a week and it'd be cleaned up. Some snails that I have in the 60gal also eat it, but I'm not sure what sort of snails they are (bought them 4 years ago).

CleveYank
07/10/2009, 02:40 PM
This stuff is the demon seed. (mine grew the same way but was more of a maroon color)

Kalk paste and ULNS keeps it in check.

But the only thing that completely works is removing the things, pods, sponge, feathers, polyp, corals you want and propagating them elsewhere and putting the rock into freshwater until everything dies off.

Someone said they had turbos handle it. But all 3 varieties I've had didn't want anything to do with it.

The scorched earth policy freshwater nuking, rock by rock seemed to be the only way I could really get rid of it.

RedEDGE2k1
07/10/2009, 04:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15337637#post15337637 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CleveYank
But the only thing that completely works is removing the things, pods, sponge, feathers, polyp, corals you want and propagating them elsewhere and putting the rock into freshwater until everything dies off.

If that's the case then I guess it can just keep growing...I'm not breaking down my tank until I see this stuff is doing some real damage. So far it seems harmless.

Looking on the bright side, at least this stuff is pink/purple and not brown/green/red. It blends in really good and looks nothing like "algae" IMO.

-Dustin

lobsterotomy
07/10/2009, 05:20 PM
IIRC, it a species of gelidium. I have it almost everywhere too after I added some rock and it sprouted up from it and covered a few rocks here and there.

My mithrax (emerald) crabs eat it. Also, when your SPS grow near it, the SPS will burn it and it will recede.

RedEDGE2k1
07/10/2009, 07:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15338399#post15338399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lobsterotomy
Also, when your SPS grow near it, the SPS will burn it and it will recede.

Thats good to hear...I was worried it would be the other way around!

-Dustin

qwikcustoms
07/10/2009, 08:39 PM
I also had it in a darker red color. I put a few large mexican turbo snails in my aquarium and they have kept it under control . Hope this helps.

losthere
07/11/2009, 12:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15339307#post15339307 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by qwikcustoms
I also had it in a darker red color. I put a few large mexican turbo snails in my aquarium and they have kept it under control . Hope this helps.
+1 turbos are the way to go

29reef
07/12/2009, 09:31 AM
I would think that keeping ULNS as well as carbon dosing would keep it in check you could also see about trying to go lightless for a day or two every month in order to help out. Have you tried slowly raising your alkalinity to try to get rid of it? In my tank I've gotten a few frags with different algae on them, all of which has died over the last few months.

ReefWreak
07/12/2009, 09:33 AM
Bristletooth tangs for the win!

My tomini takes care of everything that my Dejardini sailfin doesn't, including this red/brown type algae. My only problem is halimedia, which some people say isn't a problem at all but a blessing.

pistol
07/12/2009, 02:54 PM
What is ULNS?

dwilly
07/13/2009, 03:40 PM
Ultra Low Nutrient System

arc eye
07/14/2009, 12:45 PM
I had something similar to that going crazy in my tank for awhile. My tang, snails and crabs wouldn't touch it. I had a refugium, but it was newly established and didn't do much. I ran a lot of GFO and Carbon for awhile and did some major manual removal. After about a month and a half it all went away for good and my refugium finally took off.

lLong story short ultra low nutrient system should take care of it.

A.VOID
07/14/2009, 01:40 PM
my tang eats the Maroon stuff. Between ULNS and the tang, it's basically gone.