PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Algae

gman19
07/10/2009, 10:58 AM
Over the past few months, I have been unable to keep up with my reef as I should have. My RO/DI went south and has evidently allowed algae promoting nutrients into the system.

I have rectified the RO/DI problem, and since I am back to a situation that I can tend to the system, I have one queston...

Is it possible to "starve" out bubble algae? I'd rather take this approach instead of trying to break down the system and physically remove the nuisance.

Any help will be appreciated!

GrimReefer82
07/10/2009, 11:30 AM
foxface or almost any rabbitfish (they might nip at some softies) and maybe a crew of emerald crabs.

also you can manually remove them by taking a syringe and sucking them dry and then removing the "skin".

As far as I know thats about your only options.

Puffdragon
07/10/2009, 12:06 PM
I have just about gotten a bad bubble algae problem under control. Got several emerald crabs and manual removal of the larger bubbles. I have busted several, I think that is where the emeralds come in.

smb
07/10/2009, 11:03 PM
Been in this hobby for eight years or so now. I have never seen an emerald crab eat bubble algae yet people keep selling them with that idea. ***? One of the most frustrating aspects of the hobby is nuisance algae.

jjmg
07/10/2009, 11:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15339934#post15339934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smb
Been in this hobby for eight years or so now. I have never seen an emerald crab eat bubble algae yet people keep selling them with that idea. ***? One of the most frustrating aspects of the hobby is nuisance algae.

I have also never seen an emerald crab eat bubble algae, but when I have added them to a tank with the algae it has disappeared. The large bubbles have to be removed by hand but the small ones seem to go someplace when emerald crabs are added.

Shablin
07/11/2009, 12:03 AM
in ADDITION to manual removal, i siphon out the algae when i do water changes; large bubbles that fon fit in my suction tube i bust and [hopefully]suck out the spores. I rigged a soft piece of tubing with a hard plastic rod attached to the end - something emeralds cant do...

tewkes
07/11/2009, 10:00 AM
Emerald crabs are hit and miss. I've had several that %100 ate bubble algae. The problem is, once they find something that is more tasty they don't eat bubble algae anymore. I still have some bubble algae that grows around the inlets to my overflow and in some hard to reach areas. I try to suck them out also.

gman19
07/12/2009, 06:39 PM
I like the idea of the tube with a piercing apparatus on the end, I will probably try that. New RO/DI arrives tomorrow from the filter guys...back to work after that to try and get things back under control.

Puffdragon
07/13/2009, 07:39 AM
I agree with jjmg. I see my emeralds picking at something on the live rock. Before I added them I would manually remove buble algae and then have it come back even more with a vengence. With the emeralds, the new outbreak does not happen.

saltygeek
07/13/2009, 08:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15341218#post15341218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tewkes
Emerald crabs are hit and miss. I've had several that %100 ate bubble algae. The problem is, once they find something that is more tasty they don't eat bubble algae anymore. I still have some bubble algae that grows around the inlets to my overflow and in some hard to reach areas. I try to suck them out also.
Yeah, I've seen mine ripping apart bubbles at times but they seem to only eat it as a last resort.

herostar
07/13/2009, 10:12 AM
I have seen my emerald crabs on numerous occasions eating bubble algae.

I have also seen my emerald crabs eating my SPS :( They have been banned to the sump now, but my BA in the display was gone anyway...

Toddrtrex
07/13/2009, 01:33 PM
I personally watched my emeralds eating bubble algae, it was pretty neat to watch. Though mine seem to mainly come out after the lights are out.

About 6 months ago my 75 was starting to be over run with bubbles. They were covering the side walls even. So, I made sure to clean the side glass --- used a razor blade and a net to catch about 90% of them. I stepped up my water changes, prior to that I was laid up with a bad back, and that tank was the one that I let just run. And picked up about 5 emeralds. While it has taken a fairly long time I am seeing some real improvements in the tank now.

gman19
07/13/2009, 04:58 PM
Soundsl familiar Toddrtrex...I've been preoccupied with a new puppy, fencing in the back yard and work to keep food on the table that my tank has been "back burnered" for a bit. I installed a new RO/DI today so some water changes are a comin'!