PDA

View Full Version : Do your LPS do well?

PogoMonogo
07/10/2009, 11:50 PM
I have a 90g tank thats mixed, about 50/50 LPS/SPS. My SPS grow insanely fast; to the point that people are jealous. But other than euphillia LPS dont really do so great in my tank. I have several acans my friends are holding, i've lost a welso in the past and things like War corals dont really do much either. But Zoo polyps grow like weeds as well. Any ideas? I thought possible it was nutrient deficiencies, but then, zoos do so well. Sometimes I think its lighting (2-250w 10k hqi, and 4 54 watt t5) but I see people running 400 watt halides or something equivilent and their LPS look fantastic.

jackblack559
07/10/2009, 11:56 PM
my lps seem to do well, but only time will tell...it's only been a couple of months.

acrylic_300
07/11/2009, 01:11 AM
I had real bad luck with lps for 3 years....Until my Flame Angel died. I think they can't handle much nipping at all.

The LPS would pump up and look better than they did when I got them...then I would notice a little pin hole in a polyp and a slow decline in growth and overall health. Eventually death.

hitachi753
07/11/2009, 12:07 PM
My plate coral does well but acans not so much lost one colony and almost lost the other and have no angels or anything else that will mess with them

PogoMonogo
07/11/2009, 01:17 PM
See, I had an orange fungia that looked terrible and I put it in my friends aquarium and it started to puff up and now looks great. He doesn't run a skimmer and runs four t5s. He also has much less flow in his tank. It just doesn't make sense. I know I have see ULN tanks with LPS in then.

losthere
07/11/2009, 02:04 PM
I have mostly sps and i would say a an ULN system and have no problems with lps, currently have chalices, acans, duncans, scullies, blastos, brain, and micros, and they all do very well. SPS included. I person i know runs a very similar tank to mine, just a little smaller, is having bad luck with lps in his tank. Dont ask me why when we use a lot of the same products and additives. No idea. Keep things clean, constant, and stable, do weekly water changes (5-10%) and thats all about all you can do. You could try spot feeding if you arent already. Sorry if no help. Good luck.

Piazzon12
07/11/2009, 02:04 PM
alot of LPS cant handle high flow or high light...

PogoMonogo
07/12/2009, 08:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15342138#post15342138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Piazzon12
alot of LPS cant handle high flow or high light...

well, duh. They are obviously being placed correctly. I am not placing them 1 inch under the halides or smoething stupid. All my lps are generally on the bottom of my tank, while sps are up top. Like i said, the issue I have is that I run 250w halides, and they seem to not like it, even on the bottom, but I see people running 400w halides and they do amazing. This is the issue.

Znut Reefer
07/12/2009, 09:14 AM
I have a good many chalices, micros, lords, favia's on the floor of my 500. All are under 400 MH 20K. Some are shaded but the rest seem to like it. No problems here. And there is a lot of flow.

PogoMonogo
07/12/2009, 10:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15342135#post15342135 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by losthere
I have mostly sps and i would say a an ULN system and have no problems with lps, currently have chalices, acans, duncans, scullies, blastos, brain, and micros, and they all do very well. SPS included. I person i know runs a very similar tank to mine, just a little smaller, is having bad luck with lps in his tank. Dont ask me why when we use a lot of the same products and additives. No idea. Keep things clean, constant, and stable, do . weekly water changes (5-10%) and thats all about all you can do. You could try spot feeding if you arent already. Sorry if no help. Good luck.

well here is the thing, things are VERY consistent, like i said I have many sps (around 50) that are growing insanely fast and have great color. But then something as simple as a fungia plate does meh, or a very large acan color never really puffs up. I have an all red blast colony about the size of a baseball that have had forever, looks great, but hasnt really ever grown. But then I have torch babies that have sprung up on my rocks all around my tank and zoos that grow so fast, they are becoming borderline nusance. I just cant keep shaking the feeling that its too much lighting, but i even shade things and they dont seem happy. The uneveness of it is just what bothers me. Things just dont add up is all.

dan223
07/12/2009, 09:29 PM
What 400 watt bulbs are the guys YOU know running where their lps are doing fine, and at what depth? The only one I know running 400watt on lps is running 20k bulb, huge difference compared to 10k, way less intensity. just a thought.

bad badger 1
07/16/2009, 05:11 PM
POST REMOVED

Zylski
07/16/2009, 05:27 PM
I have set up and the same problem u do my sps grow so fast people are jelous and yet my lps its kindof hit and miss with them. Most seem to do ok. And my zoas grow like weeds too. My thoughts have been to high flow no matter where there stuck. My one thats in lower flow cause its sheilded by a rock is doing really well. Just my thoughts though.

Superstretch18
07/16/2009, 05:36 PM
To the people having trouble with LPS; are you target feeding? I've found that they generally do much better when they are fed fairly large foods. Acans in particular do much better when they are fed mysis or similar sized foods. Even in an ULN system, they can thrive with frequent feeding...

CleveYank
07/16/2009, 05:56 PM
ahh all name calling aside. (couple posts prior)

I've not found the LPS a problem with my SPS. But it could be on accident.

I look at SPS this way. SPS are the highest order of priority.

And therefore, all other polyps, softies,leathers, LPS are low priority. And therefore the SPS get the best real estate in high and medium light and flow. Where the rest just go whereever they will survive. And oddly enough most of my LPS are near the bottom and are growing just fine.

And things like frogspawn and favites if they are anywhere but on the bottom their sweepers (the ones that have them of course) get too close for comfort to the SPS. So that's the other reason they get the lower areas.

One question I might ask though. Does anyone know if maybe in the case of the fungia are kinda like elegance coral in that they prefer dirtier water? Maybe with that particular one it needs a bit higher nutrient in the water. Which is what I have read numerous times by many who have had great success with elegance corals. Just a thought.

I also think the target feeding while tedious helps make up for things not being provided by the system's water and is a good measure whether nutrient rich or ULNS.

smiller
07/16/2009, 07:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15364271#post15364271 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bad badger 1
POST REMOVED

Vulgar language can get you removed from RC very quickly.

Reefer08
07/16/2009, 08:43 PM
oops sorry!!!!

PogoMonogo
07/16/2009, 10:24 PM
well, i appreciate any help posted, despite what anyone infers otherwise.

Airwolf75
07/17/2009, 03:43 AM
I have a similar situation, the high light, high flow SPS corals, and LPS corals do great. The blastos and acans, lobos candy canes, I put them in caves, otherwise they look bad. Probably just not the right corals for my tank in large numbers.

AC11337
07/17/2009, 11:23 AM
some of the fleshier LPS can't handle high flow, high light, low nutrient. I lost an open brain when i renovated my tank to include sps. Also in an SPS environment most LPS will have decreased polyp extension.

vegaskid11
07/17/2009, 05:39 PM
I have a wide variety of lps in a 300 gallon with 3-400 watt lights and 3 tunze pumps. You have to be creative with placment. To much flow will cause problems with many lps