PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Question

Cubed
07/11/2009, 10:30 AM
As I'm rather new to the hobby (8 months), this may sound like a "stupid" question to all of you. We are currently feeding frozen mysis and frozen brine+algea and we have weened off of just plain brine that we used to feed.

I was told by our LFS that that should be sufficient feeding for the animals in the tank, is this correct? Or is there something else I should be feeding?

I hear many many people feeding "pellets" to thier fish. What exactly are these? Can you get that at a LFS or online? Do they have more beneficial nutrients to the fish?

The stocking list is:

2 x Occelaris
1 x Foxface
1 x Yellow Tang
1 x Coral Beauty
1 x Six Line
1 x Yellow Watchman
1 x Engineer Goby

I appreciate the help in advance!

sanchoy
07/11/2009, 10:53 AM
What you are feeding is suffice..

You should always try to mix up what you feed so your fish will get a varied nutricious diet.

Pellets are just concentrated mix of food (algae/brine/etc.= depending on the brand) that is mixed up and created into small tiny "pellets". These food usually sink to the bottom.

You can buy pellets at almost any LFS.

Cubed
07/11/2009, 11:01 AM
Is it better to feed pellets vs. the frozen? Is there a type of brand that is better than others?

sanchoy
07/11/2009, 11:47 AM
Pellets are cheaper in the long run..
However, I always feed my fishes both pellets/flakes/frozen to mix up their diet. Every fishes need is different. In your case, you need to feed nora algae plants/seaweed sheets so your tangs/Angel will get a good amount of veggies.

As far as the brand goes there is too many to choose from, every brand claims they are the best.
You just have to look at the nutrition labels on the back and pick what you feel is best.

I usually mix my feedings.. with frozen one day and pellets/flakes the next. As far as seaweed sheets/ i feed every day due to my tangs fast metabolism..

Cubed
07/11/2009, 08:51 PM
Sanch, thanks for the info, although my angel doesn't eat any algae sheets, it is a big eater on any frozen I put in there; its a pig. The Tang and the foxface both benefit from the seaweed, as I see the foxface eating it almost the same if not more than the tang. Thank for the help, much appreciated.