PDA

View Full Version : ice cap ballast quality???

papania
07/11/2009, 11:13 AM
I am getting a MH pendent light this is the one I had in mind....please let me know about the brand, I do not know how it stands up to the other brands.

HERE IS THE MH BALLAST I WAS LOOKING TO GET

http://www.seaquestmarine.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ic_mhp250_400&source=googlebase

ReefWreak
07/11/2009, 11:18 AM
Their ballasts are of fantastic quality IMO.

I've got a VHO ballast that has been running for probably around 7 or more years, and I bought one of the new style Icecap 250w ballasts, and it's fantastic. I know people who are still using the old style icecap 250w ballasts for over 5-7 years now with no problems.

I've got a 250w coralvue ballast that I bought as a pair, one of them burned out and stopped working after about 5 years, and the other is still working, but flickering, and I can't afford to replace it and don't see a need to as long as it stays mostly lit and doesn't flicker too bad. When I do replace it, I'll be replacing it with a new style icecap ballast.

RussM
07/11/2009, 11:53 AM
My whole primary lighting system is Icecap, and I have no regrets whatsoever. I paid a bit more than I would have for some other brands, but I consider my precious hobby funds well spent.

broke1
07/11/2009, 12:14 PM
I would rank Icecap right at the top with a couple of others. There components are first class and their customer service is second to none. Alot of people have their favorites for sure, but you won't find too may that will say much of anything bad about Icecaps. I have personally used their older 250W ballast and I have two 660s in use right now.

billdogg
07/11/2009, 02:14 PM
i've got a 660 that's probably about 15 - 18 years old - i'm really not sure. IMO, can't be beat

PSU REEFER
07/12/2009, 06:17 AM
You can't go wrong w/ icecap.