PDA

View Full Version : octopus skimmer mod ideas

Jandree22
07/11/2009, 02:59 PM
I'll try to keep this short and sweet as possible, I'm trying to take a cheap skimmer and make it better. it's an octopus nw-150 (w/ the funnel neck, not PVC union).

I just bored out the elbow a bit, and did the venturi mod as explained in this thread. Haven't noticed much of a difference, yet anyway. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=11512284

I still need to mesh mod it. I previously was using gutter guard on the impeller which again, didn't seem to do a whole lot, but I'm going to switch to the real stuff, some enkamat pf4 flatback in hopes of shreading the bubbles finer.

Now, there are two ideas I'm throwing around and wondering if they're worth the trouble. Both regard bubble contact time concerns. Right now in the NW150 injects the bubbly water into the chamber horizontally and about 4-5" up from the bottom, hence while minimizing bubbles from escaping the output, seems like wasted territory.

The first is straight forward, taking a 45* or 90* elbow inside the chamber to point the input down a bit to fill in that bubble free zone.

Going along with or replacing that idea, the bigger idea I'm pondering is devising a difuser plate. Currently the horizontal input to the chamber makes a fair amount of turbulance and I'd like to slow down the action going on in there. Are diffuser plates straight forward as they seem or is there a science/art to it that I'd be wasting my time with ending in failure?

thanks, happy Saturday.