PDA

View Full Version : Sargassum (Red Tail) Triggers

boilermaker1
07/11/2009, 10:41 PM
I've been going back and forth for probably 6 months about it. Last week due to an unfortunate ATO incident; the relay shorted while I was gone for the weekend, electrically charged the tank, and it ran the pump constantly and emptied the bucket, then ran dry.... salinity went way low, then way high, then I reset it slowly when I got home, my cleaner shrimp evidently couldnt handle this and unfortunately died. Everything has to go wrong when you're gone right? I replaced the relay and now its working just fine.
I was real hesitant to add a trigger with a $35 potential dinner in the tank, so now I'm slightly more motivated. I've read as many reef safe trigger threads as I could find on here, with a whole lot of recommendations for blue throats, sargassums and pink tails, and a whole lot of blue throats in tanks, but not too much in the way of the sargassums. IMO the sargassums are gorgeous fish and I'd love to have one, but I've read over and over "triggers are still triggers" and they'll suddenly go nuts on everything in the tank. Do I need to be worrying about small fish (clownfish, blennies, etc???) Dont really want my clowns to become lunch (although they're cinnamons and pretty feisty on their own). Also was looking into adding a C. Argi at some point, which never get big... so I'm just looking out for problems before I make a mistake. I understand some risk, but there's a point that I just dont want to go past in the gambling.
So far I've found the recommendation of feeding well (which with 2 butterflies in the tank I have to), and not feeding them live food (since they're planktivores anyways, this shouldnt be a problem, I make my own mix of supermarket seafood in the food processor), and there's plenty of open room in my tank.
I would love to hear something from someone who's had a Sargassum long term... I'm looking for a small one (I hear thats the best way to start), but I want to make sure that it doesnt turn into a huge risk later on.
Thanks

AuroraDrvr
07/11/2009, 11:06 PM
No need to worry about a Sargassum. Very passive, friendly fish.

DEERE G
07/12/2009, 02:16 PM
My Sargassum has been in my tank since Oct. 08' with no issues. It lives with cleaner shrimp, blood red shrimp, and all sorts of corals.