PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Butterflies and Copperbands?

tonyespinoza
07/12/2009, 08:28 AM
So I'm cycling my first large tank and have decided to establish my fish load before introducing any SPS.

I introduced a pair of medium sized pyramid butterflies that have been doing great.

I'm curious if anyone can confirm that they really are SPS safe...

Also, might they eat LPS or zoas?

Would it be advisable to keep more than a pair? (I've seen reference to keeping "small groups" online and could keep 4 or 5 in this size tank.)

Would a copperband do okay with these guys?

Are there any other butterflies that are SPS safe? (Kliens, perhaps?)

Znut Reefer
07/12/2009, 09:07 AM
I have a Copperband in my sps/lps tank. So far it does not mess with anything. Also have clams. I think it will depend on each fish as far as being reef safe. Seems I heard of a Klien picking on LPS. But once the guy kept it fed well, it stopped.

salty child 79
07/12/2009, 09:36 AM
Check out this thread....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1666315

tonyespinoza
07/12/2009, 09:55 AM
olddude rocks!

jimroth
07/12/2009, 11:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15344948#post15344948 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tonyespinoza

Are there any other butterflies that are SPS safe? (Kliens, perhaps?)

I have a Yellow Longnose along with my copperband. I'm pretty sure he's reef safe, I have seen him sticking his snout in some corals but I think he's just fishing for 'pods. Nice fish.

I have seen my copperband sample hydnophora, and I have seen some mysteriously stripped branches on a pocillopora, but nothing major.

drdoolittle
07/12/2009, 01:06 PM
Tony,

the pyramid is a hit and miss kind of deal. My buddy and i bought several of them. Some went into his tank and some on mines.

His started nipping his monti and sps, to the point that he lost lots of colonies before catching it.

Mines 0n other hand have not touched any corals (knock on wood). I have one of them left, others died. But this guy have been a model fish in my tank. I keep him well fed.

i have had both pyramid and copperbanded without issue. just keep them wll fed.

good luck

Ed