PDA

View Full Version : Algae growth in overflow

bunzaroo
07/12/2009, 10:51 AM
My tank has been running for about 15 months. I recenetly about 3 months ago switched from PC's to an icecap overdriven T5 setup. The corals and fish are doing great. But i have an algae outbreak in the teeth of the overflow were water runs through. The actual tank is fine, glass rocks, n o algae at all. I can't make out the algae and it is very hard to take pictures. I think it is hidropsys, not to sure. My params are as follows:

Nitrate 10
Ammonia 0
PH 8.1/8/2
Calcium 540-560
Phosphates 0, ( probasbly being consumed by the Algae)
I use kent sea salt , I also run carbon in a chamber,
Salinty 1.026

Should I worry about this like I said it only grows where the water flows into the overflow. I don't overfeed. Thanks

Agu
07/12/2009, 11:13 AM
Algae grows where there's light and food, the teeth of the overflow box is typically a perfect place for the algae. Don't worry about it but clean it out once in a while.

Think of it as easy nutrient export :D .

bunzaroo
07/12/2009, 11:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15345599#post15345599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
Algae grows where there's light and food, the teeth of the overflow box is typically a perfect place for the algae. Don't worry about it but clean it out once in a while.

Think of it as easy nutrient export :D .

That's funny I was thinking the same thing too. It is consuming all the phosphates and nutrients and it is hidden behind the teeth of the black internal overflow. It doesn't go into the tank and there is no spec of algae in the tank. I do clean it once a month, but it just grows back. Should I throw some turbo snails in there and see what happens?

reefrf
07/12/2009, 12:03 PM
I considered throwing in snails as well! I was told it wouldn't be a good idea because they could block the backflow holes & cause an overflow, pretty unlikely I think.

I haven't added snails yet. My overflow covers are clear & allow light in. Are yours black? I figure if I paint my covers then no light would get through & then no algae!?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15345663#post15345663 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bunzaroo
That's funny I was thinking the same thing too. It is consuming all the phosphates and nutrients and it is hidden behind the teeth of the black internal overflow. It doesn't go into the tank and there is no spec of algae in the tank. I do clean it once a month, but it just grows back. Should I throw some turbo snails in there and see what happens?

bunzaroo
07/12/2009, 12:09 PM
They are black, but light will hit it from the top. Remember I have an internal overflow built into the tank. So the lights are over the overflow. Now If you have a hang on the back overflow maybe painting it will block out the light? You can try that, wouldn't hurt. As far as the snail blocking the water, hmm could happen I guess. I have a durso tube that quests the gurgle of the water going down. I don't know if they can block that off??

rgrobe
07/12/2009, 12:11 PM
I have the same issue. I have pulled lbs of algae out of the overflows over the past several months. It seems they are working as mini refugiums. In that respect I think it is actually beneficial. I just watch the water levels in the DT. If the level rises i know that the algae is starting to restrict the flow. After a harvest I am good to go for several more weeks.

I don't think it is a bad thing as long as you are keeping your maintenance up.

bunzaroo
07/12/2009, 12:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15345851#post15345851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rgrobe
I have the same issue. I have pulled lbs of algae out of the overflows over the past several months. It seems they are working as mini refugiums. In that respect I think it is actually beneficial. I just watch the water levels in the DT. If the level rises i know that the algae is starting to restrict the flow. After a harvest I am good to go for several more weeks.

I don't think it is a bad thing as long as you are keeping your maintenance up.

The ones growing on my overflow are full of pods and other small invertebrates, and yes it does act like sort of a refugium. Mine has never impeeded the flow thankfully.

snorvich
07/12/2009, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15345818#post15345818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefrf
I considered throwing in snails as well! I was told it wouldn't be a good idea because they could block the backflow holes & cause an overflow, pretty unlikely I think.

Well, do you really want to roll the dice on them NOT blocking the overflow? Snails eventually get large enough to cause a problem.