PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run just a HOB filter?

Solitaryensis
07/13/2009, 11:51 AM
Hey guys,

I purchased a 30 Oceanic cube awhile back with the intention of doing a reef. However, I've come to the realization that I just dont have the time for upkeep so I figured a FOWLR would be a good compromise. Anyways, I have pretty extensive experience with reefs but have never done a FO tank so I wanted to run my design past the experts for an ok. Its not much of a design but my plan was to use the large aquaclear, possibly a phosphate reactor filled with carbon and plenty LR/LS. I considered converting the aquaclear to a fuge but I like the idea of some form of mechanical filtration that can pick up some of the waste. Would the additional carbon from the phosphate filter be overkill?

The tank isnt drilled and though I was planning on drilling it, I didnt see it as necessary with the FO setup. I plan on stocking it with a couple small pygmy angels and maybe a hawk and a couple small gobies so not a very large bioload. TIA for any suggestions

danorth
07/13/2009, 12:40 PM
I've ran a 135 with 2 emperor 400's before and 2 skimmers. If you have some nice live rock, sand (for looks, critters) and a HOB filter you can do just fine. If you do a 10 gallon water change once or twice a month you'll be even better.

jayb12
07/13/2009, 01:09 PM
i ran my 75 gal reef with just an emperor 400 for 5 years before adding a canister filter.
my 50 gal f.o tank currently runs on my old emperor 400 and no problems, nitrates are slightly high but i have a predators that are messy and water changes take care of that

Mentat
07/13/2009, 05:28 PM
Oceanic's 30Q with Aquaclear 110 (500 GPH) should be fine. I run them modifying foam filter block (cut some height off it) so I can add more media (i.e. Matrix or coral rubble) to AQ's bag, one bag of Bio-Chem Zorb (use the one for Rena's canister system) and one bag of Seachem's Purigen (last 2 fit well side by side).

If modding filter as refugium and lowering filter output, would run additional power head for flow.

saltyguy51
07/13/2009, 06:35 PM
I have a 45 gallon with 2 aquaclear 110s and took the foam out, I use 2" pollyester padding, carbon and some kind of ceramic cylinders for media and does a great job

dudley moray
07/13/2009, 07:30 PM
hawkfishes will kill gobies they cannot be housed together !! and i run hob on all my tanks no prob penguin on my 10 gal emperor 400 on my 65 and a 250 on my 30