PDA

View Full Version : Rhizotrochus Typus - Anyone have any?

darkdruid
07/13/2009, 02:21 PM
I found a guy on ebay selling these and they looked cool. I would like to try one but I don't buy anything I don't know how to take care of, especially at that price. Does anyone have any of these or know much about them? If so, any pictures of the ones in your tanks?
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/aquasandiego/Rhizos.jpg

Logzor
07/13/2009, 02:31 PM
Check the non-photosynthetic thread, a few people have them and can give you more detailed information.

thecichlidpleco
07/13/2009, 02:36 PM
Check out the LPS forums, basically the same care level as dendros.

darkdruid
07/13/2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks...at $199 each I want to know alot before I buy one.

tipmoff
07/13/2009, 02:47 PM
thecichlidpleco is correct....

Here is a description from one the sites that carry them. If you haven't had any non-photo corals I would suggest starting off with a small Sun Coral colony. The Rizo is expensive unlike the Sun Coral.

Rhizo Coral
Description
The corals in the genus Rhizotrochus, or Rhizo for short are a deep water, non-photosynthetic variety that are most commonly collected near Japan. These corals are very similar in nature to those found in the genus Tubastrea, commonly called Sun Polyps. The biggest difference between the two is that Rhizotrochus are solitary in growth form, never forming colonies like a Sun Polyp. They reproduce by budding and some keepers of this coral have reported this happening in captivity.
The Rhizotrochus will send out a root like structure from its skeletal base and attach itself to substrate like live rock. The do very well being tucked into a rock crevice or being placed in the sand. They come in various colors like red, pink, green, yellow and most, commonly, stark white.
Diet
This coral is non-photosynthetic and will require frequent feedings of meaty foods. Feed two or three times a week little bits of silverside, squid or shrimp. May be target fed brine or mysid shrimp using a turkey bastor or pipette

sixtygallon212
07/14/2009, 10:56 PM
I got one the other day from a wholesaler. If they are nice $200 is an excelent price.

darkdruid
07/14/2009, 11:19 PM
They are on ebay, so there is no way to actually check before you buy. They might be great or junk. It's a $200 gamble.