PDA

View Full Version : Are UV Sterilizers worth the money.

pfoster40
07/13/2009, 03:40 PM
Do UV sterilizers offer a good benefit to your tank for the price. They seem to be very expensive. Also do you plumb these into your return line or sit in the sump. I was thinking about picking up a 40w one used for $50 from a wholesaler. It might need a new bulb though because IDK how long they are good for and I can't totally trust a salesman on what they tell me. Are the bulbs hard/expensive to replace?

I know a had a few questions about them, but I like getting answers from my fellow reefers :thumbsup:

Hartdude
07/13/2009, 04:00 PM
A UV is something that I found I can live without. I've ran them in the past, but can't be certain that they added any real benefit, other than maybe cutting down on some small algae blooms in the water column. When I ran the system, I plumbed it into my return line. If I recall correctly, UV bulbs should be replaced every 9-12 months. I would suppose the ease of replacement would depend greatly on the model you purchase, but the few I've had experience with are fairly quick and painless changes. Prices range from $30 to $90 depending on wattage.

*Edited for spelling*:rolleyes:

pfoster40
07/13/2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks I'll try to figure out what model it is then and go from there. Anyone else have any comments I searched and found a few threads but nothing making me rush over to go get it especially bulbs being that much money!

celano
07/13/2009, 05:59 PM
I purchased a used one a couple years ago in the for sale forum. It was a 9watt Coralife turbo twist. I bought a cheap UV bulb off of Ebay and used the smallest maxijet pump I had laying around (MJ400)to power it.
It did seem to help keep the water more clear but that was really about it. Like Hartdude said, I also found that it was really something I could live without.

pfoster40
07/13/2009, 06:10 PM
I figured 50 bux though for a 40w one wasnt a bad deal. I wanted to throw it in my return plumbing because I got a Quiet One 4000 yesterday for working on a guys tank.

james3370
07/13/2009, 06:14 PM
if i had to chose between a UV sterilizer or a bulk reef supply carbon/gfo reactor & their good media for water clarity, i'd go brs reactor every time

luther1200
07/13/2009, 06:58 PM
I personally like them. A while ago I was having to clean the glass a lot more than normal. So I started looking for problems. And sure enough my UV bulb had blown. About a day after I replaced it I was back my normal routine. So for me I think I willl always run 1.

dudley moray
07/13/2009, 07:22 PM
better safe than sorry ...

jayb12
07/13/2009, 07:27 PM
dont forget whatever goes through that uv get zapped, wether its good bacteria or bad algae!

pfoster40
07/13/2009, 08:01 PM
I bought a kent phosphate reactor this weekend and I'm running ROWAphos through it. The guy at the fish store told me to use very little at first because it could burn the tips of my sps. So I put maybe 75 or the 250 ml in the tube and in two days cut my phosphate down from 1.0 ( I know slacking lately) down to 0.25 on my salifert test kit. My water looks amazing like there is none, but I was having hair algae problems before this. I really just want it out of my tank, but I don't want to lose the risk of good bacteria dying as well... I take it that includes my purple LR going back to non-purple LR or not letting any more coralline algae grow? If that is the case I guess I'll keep fighting the good fight with this phosphate reactor and siphoning the remainder of the hair algae out?

Hartdude
07/13/2009, 08:36 PM
A UV sterilizer should not impede coraline algae growth.

jayb12
07/13/2009, 09:03 PM
it will only "zap" whatever free floating stuff that passes through it.