PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn on the decline

polyppetey
07/13/2009, 03:51 PM
Well the last few days my frogspawn has been shrinking, the tank is somewhat new about 4 months.
My parameters are as follows.

7-8 DKH - i dose every day with kent superbuffer can't seem to get it over 8
calcium 550-600 ??-- don't know why I dont dose calc
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia- almost zero, hard to see with my test kit
nitrites 0
nitrates <15
temp 79-86-- its been hot lately.
phosphates- 0
PH 8- 8.2

I do a 10% wc each week, right now using instant ocean salt
and RO water from the LFS.

Mostly I have noticed it as the temp has been climbing.

The other livestick in the tank seem fine, I have a 56 gallon cube with a DSB, 20 gallon sump, 2x150 watt HQI and 100 watt actinics, calatina aquarium skimmer. turnover is about 20x

I have 3 firefish, a yellow watchman goby and a true percula clownfish.

guy145
07/14/2009, 08:09 AM
10% water change.. maybe more flow

atwinparadox2
07/14/2009, 09:37 AM
did you test the RO water from your fish store, maybe it's not actually RO? Ran into this problem once, they were selling tap water as RO/DI. If you are dosing for Alk that can bring your calcium up. Try moving it as well, something as simple as placement can affect frogspawn greatly.

ReefHotSpot
07/14/2009, 12:54 PM
I would feed the frogspawn. Some euphyllias are voracious eaters. Target feed it with any type of fish food smaller than small sized krill. Also, a dip in "coral revive" is extremely helpful to ward off bacterial infections and any pests that might be irritating it.

That said, higher temps and a relatively new tank may be the issue. In newer systems, things can be happening that you may not even see during water tests. General instability is always a problem at this tank age.

flamehawkfish
07/16/2009, 12:40 PM
Try moving it.

Frogspawns like medium-high flow & light, but not too much of either.