PDA

View Full Version : Need Help w/ planning Plumbing,etc. 20L w/ 20L sump

Lance M.
07/13/2009, 06:57 PM
I've never had a sump before so I need help choosing a return pump and diameter of pipes and stuff like that.

Here are the questions-

1. I want to try Herbie's style overflow but I don't think two 1''+ holes in the bottom corner of a 20 L will be good for the structural integrity of the tank. Should I go with a overflow box or what?

2. What size return pump (+examples) should I get? It will be about 3.5' to 4' from return to top of display. I would like to use the return as the main source of flow. My lfs guy told me to go with a eheim 1260 or something similar and I can control the output but putting a T in the return and running back into the sump.

3. I was recommended to go with 1'' drains and 3/4'' return. Would that be good? I would like to split the return in two to get more flow around the tank instead of just one really strong return.

4. I've been looking at loc line and these things look really cool-
http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-12-System/12-all-parts/Loc-Line-51837
Anyone use these? There will be sps in the display (top 20L) and it looks like it would give a good amount of flow to a wide area.

Also there will be a lta in the display and frag area in the sump if that makes any difference.

TIA

stingythingy45
07/13/2009, 07:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15353530#post15353530 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lance M.
I've never had a sump before so I need help choosing a return pump and diameter of pipes and stuff like that.

Here are the questions-

1. I want to try Herbie's style overflow but I don't think two 1''+ holes in the bottom corner of a 20 L will be good for the structural integrity of the tank. Should I go with a overflow box or what?

2. What size return pump (+examples) should I get? It will be about 3.5' to 4' from return to top of display. I would like to use the return as the main source of flow. My lfs guy told me to go with a eheim 1260 or something similar and I can control the output but putting a T in the return and running back into the sump.

3. I was recommended to go with 1'' drains and 3/4'' return. Would that be good? I would like to split the return in two to get more flow around the tank instead of just one really strong return.

4. I've been looking at loc line and these things look really cool-
http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-12-System/12-all-parts/Loc-Line-51837
Anyone use these? There will be sps in the display (top 20L) and it looks like it would give a good amount of flow to a wide area.

Also there will be a lta in the display and frag area in the sump if that makes any difference.

TIA

1.Forget the herbie method.Just go with one-1" bulkhead for overflow(with a overflow wall fabricated out of plexi to skim the surface).

2. The eheim 1260 is a good solid pump.Good advice.

3.Yes a 1 " bulkhead for overflow with a 3/4 "return will work fine.
You can also split it if you wish.But sometime it's a good idea to have a powerhead seperate from the sump system.

4.)It's standard on a megaflow overflow kit,works well.

As in long tentacle anemone?
I wouldn't do it,takes up almost all the real estate.

Lance M.
07/13/2009, 09:12 PM
I've had the lta for almost two years in a ten gallon so this will be a big improvement for it and it will be under MH in this new setup instead of pc.

So-

1. What method should I do? durso?

2. ok on the Eheim

3. I have a k1 and nano I can add

4. I've seen loc line on megaflow overflow kits but never this assembly. I'm thinking about splitting the line and having one on each return.