PDA

View Full Version : Smelly RO/DI water

Dingo44
07/14/2009, 01:59 PM
I've been getting RO/DI water from my LFS for about 3 months now, and this last batch had a strong smell that I can only describe as a chemical filter smell. I called the store and the guy that answered said it was supposed to smell a little, but not too strongly. Well it was pretty strong. Also, I've been fighting an ich outbreak and have had to do a FW dip for a coral beauty, she died shortly after, it was only a 5 min dip. She was covered in white spots and refused food earlier in the night before the dip. Could this have been from the smelly RO/DI? Is RO/DI supposed to have a strong smell?

Any comments would be appreciated!

der_wille_zur_macht
07/14/2009, 02:13 PM
RO/DI should NOT smell. I would ask for a refund or some free water, and/or switch stores.

Dingo44
07/14/2009, 02:16 PM
Could that have led to the death of my coral beauty after I dipped her in the smelly water?

der_wille_zur_macht
07/14/2009, 02:19 PM
Sadly, it is really hard to say, since we don't know what was in the water. It sounds like the fish was pretty sick anyways though?

Dingo44
07/14/2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah, it wasn't doing the best. It was covered, I mean really covered in white spots. Hiding in the rocks all day, refusing food and the cleaner shrimp, and the poor thing was breathing very heavily...