PDA

View Full Version : Canister filter question

aihsela
07/16/2009, 02:40 PM
Haven't bought it yet. Wanted some opinions. Just found out the skimmer I was gonna buy is junk so I figured I'd ask about the filter lol.

Whatcha vets think about this one?

http://www.petco.com/product/106888/Marineland-C-Series-External-Canister-Filters.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

evsalty
07/16/2009, 02:51 PM
You are probably asking the wrong group of people as the majority of us do not use canitsers. With that said though I am sure that that filter is probably a decent filter as Marineland makes decent products. If you plan on having a reeftank though I would not suggest any canister for use on it. Canisters tend to build up detris and become nitrate factories. If you service it atleast once a week it might not be so bad but most people end up letting it go for a while and then come back and say "whay are my nitrates SOOO HIGH".

aihsela
07/16/2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks evsalty. :)

Sisterlimonpot
07/16/2009, 04:18 PM
I tend to agree, that the only thing that canister would be good for is running carbon in it for chemical filtration (however that particular is too expensive for that). Many would suggest (I as well) to use live rock and live sand for your biological filtration couple that with a skimmer, and you won't need a filter canister.

mmedeiros2
07/16/2009, 04:59 PM
I would start slow. Do a lot of reading of others problems and solutions on this site before you start. Google the heck out of things not known. Do not buy from Petco. But from sponsers of this site instead. They are less expensive, have better customer service, and the do not torchure fish.

PhilNiedjaco
07/16/2009, 07:33 PM
What are building... fish only, fish with rock or reef?

If reef...
Add the cash to a good protein skimmer as these are essential. Having said that, I use one for GFO and carbon. I took out all the other media that comes with it (actually, it is left over from my fresh water days.) I do keep the filter media in it, but I am religious about cleaning it every 10 days or so. i change the carbon every month and I don't normally run GFO.

Just to reiterate the mantra... research, read and ask questions then go buy.

Whys
07/16/2009, 08:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15363937#post15363937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sisterlimonpot
...the only thing that canister would be good for is running carbon in it for chemical filtration.
Good point Sister.

When used in this fashion, they are not typically run 24/7, but just 24 to 48 hours after water change for polishing. Running a canister 24/7 can become a nitrate factory if it is not cleaned often.

A canister can also be useful as a filter sponge on a QT. I use one for this purpose.

ibefishy
07/16/2009, 10:16 PM
I turned my old canister filter into a gravel vacuum. I can keep the crushed coral really nice and white by vacuuming it once a week. After I am done I have to clean the whole thing. It takes a while to clean all the different filter pads, but I feel the time is worth the look of clean crushed coral.

Frenchcrkcorals
07/17/2009, 12:01 AM
I've had good luck with out canisters or any other filters in reef tanks and fish/live rock tanks.

Michael
07/17/2009, 05:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15363318#post15363318 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aihsela
Haven't bought it yet. Wanted some opinions. Just found out the skimmer I was gonna buy is junk so I figured I'd ask about the filter lol.

Whatcha vets think about this one?

http://www.petco.com/product/106888/Marineland-C-Series-External-Canister-Filters.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

canisters can be useful as mentioned, however id suggest you find a better skimmer, combined with live rock and flow the 3 together is the basics of the modern reef aquarium.