PDA

View Full Version : anyone have experience with mangroves?

kikireef
07/16/2009, 08:48 PM
Before I ask my questions I do understand that all systems are different and there is not one true answer or timeline.

So here it is...

I just purchased 6 mangroves for a 125 gallon tank's refugium (I know I could probably use more). I am curious though how fast others have seen results when they added their mangroves? I am looking to reduce my nitrates which are around 10ppm. I also have some phosphate which is between 0 and .1. Unfortunately my test doesnt read in .01 increments. I have read many sites that say that mangroves can reduce phosphates and nitrates so I am curious what I can POSSIBLY/HOPEFULLY expect if anything by adding these? Also I am running my fuge light 24/7. Can I still do this with mangrove plants?

Servillius
07/17/2009, 10:57 AM
Before I start, I just want to make sure noone confuses me with an expert or anything. I do have a little bit of experience trying out mangroves.

I went through 3 attempts before I got it right, but I've found 12 hours of fairly gentle lighting is working to keep my mangroves growing. I don't how how 24 hours will affect them. My method for keeping them is to pot them in plastic containers that have been perforated to allow water to flow through. I added some reef mud to the bottom and a layer of reef sand over that then secured the mangroves in the bed. The hardest lesson I learned is that they require patience. Mine spent 6 months growing their roots and waiting for summer, but as soon as spring came, all of a sudden I got a rush of growth out of them.

My nitrates are not substantially reduced, I had them at 20ppm before and they sit at around 10ppm these days (yes, thats a reduction, but I don't want to attribute it all to the mangroves since the experiment was hardly scientific). What I have found though is that the level is more stable, less prone to spikes, and less strained if I miss a water change or two. Subjectively, I also think my tank looks happier, I have no algae of any note other than coraline in the display tank and thats with a fairly small clean up crew.

My main comment though is that I'm surprised by how much I just plain enjoy having the mangroves. Watching them grow and get healthy has become a part of the experience of having the tank and it adds a pleasant bit of "reality" to the reef. Do it, you'll like em...

Next time I do mine though, theyre too pretty for the sump, theyre going in the display tank.

kikireef
07/17/2009, 11:00 AM
thanks for the info. I actually have mine planted in the fuge. I used about 3" of mud and another 1" of sand on top so it sounds a lot like what you did except I didn't use pots.

jim t
07/17/2009, 09:56 PM
Don't forget to mist them daily with RO water or the salt they export will burn the leaves.Also keep an eye on your Mag. level. The 3 I have use up some Mag.

gooyferret
07/17/2009, 10:07 PM
Well i have around 17 stalks in my sump, you can look at my build thread for pictures: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1628797&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

I have mine lighted 24/7, they seem to be doing quite well. Im using a CF 60watt daylight bulb 5500k that you can pickup at Home Depot. Make sure you do mist the leaves like jim said everyday.

Before the introduction of mine my nitrates were at 5-10ppm (colors look the same on the test kit) But after 1 week of adding the mangroves my nitrates are at 0 and staying constant.

HTH

davocean
07/17/2009, 10:39 PM
I think chaeto in fuge is better for both nitrate reduction and pods, but they do add some flavor to fuge, cool to look at as well as beneficial.
Mine are reverse cycle, about 10 hours, and also keep SW off leaves.

gooyferret
07/17/2009, 10:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15372307#post15372307 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
I think chaeto in fuge is better for both nitrate reduction and pods, but they do add some flavor to fuge, cool to look at as well as beneficial.
Mine are reverse cycle, about 10 hours, and also keep SW off leaves.

Well it dont hurt to have both! :D

Im running mangroves, Chaeto, and caluerpa in my fuge.

kikireef
07/17/2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah that is now what I have in mine.

Ken_wied
07/17/2009, 11:22 PM
I just got 2 a few months ago. Bought them as "pods" - they didn't have any leaves and barely any roots - but they were a dollar each. As of now, they are in the sump, and the roots took off and the leaves are coming in now too. I run the sump light 12 on and 12 off.

widmer
07/17/2009, 11:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15372139#post15372139 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jim t
Don't forget to mist them daily with RO water or the salt they export will burn the leaves.Also keep an eye on your Mag. level. The 3 I have use up some Mag.

This is the first I've ever heard either of these statements... ....? Anyone out there want to support or refute?

gooyferret
07/17/2009, 11:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15372436#post15372436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by widmer
This is the first I've ever heard either of these statements... ....? Anyone out there want to support or refute?

There is many articles on the care of mangroves. One of the most important is to clean or spray the leaves off to remove the salt from them. Since in natural enviroment the rain rinses them off we must do the same. Im not sure on them "burning" the leaves but I have noticed on mine if you dont spray them daily the tips will turn blackish in color. As for Mag lvls im not sure havent read or remember that. Although im not concerned as WC will take care of mag lvls.

gooyferret
07/17/2009, 11:59 PM
Articles for reference:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=saltaquarium&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.advancedaquarist.com%2Fissues%2Fapr2002%2Ffeature.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2250&aid=3133

And another this one actually talks about the Mag lvls with mangroves so his statement is true.

http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/growing_mangroves_for_aquarists

davocean
07/18/2009, 09:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15372333#post15372333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gooyferret
Well it dont hurt to have both! :D

Im running mangroves, Chaeto, and caluerpa in my fuge.

Agree, I have both chaeto and mangroves.
If keeping Calerpa, I'd be sure to keep on 24/7 light cycle to keep from going sexual.
I'm personally not fan of Calerpa, if it gets in display, it can become a headache.

davocean
07/18/2009, 09:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15372436#post15372436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by widmer

I personally don't mist w/ RO, but have always heard you need to keep salt from leaves, so mine sit pretty high in fuge away from any splash, and I do occasionally wipe leaves.
Though misting does sound beneficial, may start doing that.