PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Wrasse

Artemis JT
07/17/2009, 08:34 AM
So, I be gettin' a dragon wrasse soon, any important things about this fish I should be aware of? He's going in a 100g FO. :)

Thanks guys!
tim

anbosu
07/17/2009, 09:26 AM
It breathes fire. Aside from that, nothing too special.

Mentat
07/17/2009, 09:59 AM
Rockmover Wrasse (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/rockmover.htm).

saltwatercityma
07/17/2009, 01:28 PM
Keep an eye on the pilot light-once that goes out ,its a mother to get it lit underwater again. Thats why most of the dragon wrases you see are no longer able to produce fire

Springmo
07/17/2009, 02:47 PM
They need a fine sand bed to sleep in at night.

saltyguy51
07/17/2009, 05:15 PM
I have a 4" one soon to be changing to adult and it doesnt like my sixline wrasse at all. It will kill any and all hermit crabs once it turns everything over to look for them. Very cool fish to watch, it will move small pieces of rock and empty shells.

Artemis JT
07/17/2009, 07:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15370491#post15370491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyguy51
I have a 4" one soon to be changing to adult and it doesnt like my sixline wrasse at all. It will kill any and all hermit crabs once it turns everything over to look for them. Very cool fish to watch, it will move small pieces of rock and empty shells.

hah, good thing my sixline wrasse is long gone :) :(

sanchoy
07/18/2009, 12:10 AM
One of my favorite wrasses.

In juvenile form this fish is awesome to watch. He swims like a floating seaweed across the tank. In adult form, he becomes more vicious.

With protuding fangs, he can defend himself well in a predator tank. He will move your rock work around, I hope you don't have corals. Very interesting fish to have.

Recty
07/18/2009, 12:11 PM
I saw a nice 10-12" one in Hawaii, it was very cool to see. However, I wouldnt want one in my tank for fear he would eventually cause a rock slide :)

fish stalker
07/18/2009, 05:12 PM
+1 on the teeth. (seen a large one up close at a LFS's d/tank) It is one of the wrasses I considered adding to my tank before but like Recty i'm worried about rock slides..... triggers fling enough around already without added 'help'. Cool fish though, you'll have to post pics.

timdam
02/02/2010, 02:42 PM
i saw an adult dragon wrasse at my LFS the other day. and man, it looks nothign like a juvi. I can't even find pics of what it looked like online. it looked like a big freshwater jardini.

jd474
02/02/2010, 06:17 PM
I have the pleasure of a full-grown, male/female pair in a very large tank. VERY aggressive, and VERY destructive. I never recommend keeping these in home aquaria, as one day you will likely regret it. Other than that, probably the most interesting fish you can observe in the proper setting, or in the wild.

Artemis JT
02/02/2010, 07:20 PM
he's still at the lfs, same size. i'd like to put him in my 72 FOWLR for the time being, however i'm not sure how well they get along? right now the 72 is only home to a tomatoe clown fish, would he fare well with that for a while?

iamwrasseman
02/02/2010, 09:36 PM
they are really cool looking but very boisterous if around anything they can lift and flip . they will trash corals by flipping them over and other than that they are beautifull anf great in a fish only tank .get a young one and watch him morph into a really cool subadult .when they reach adult size and age they really get ugly ,plain neutral color with all the finnage gone .it will take quite a few years for them to get ugly so have fun with him and good luck .