PDA

View Full Version : can i put frogspawn and torch side by side?

neupane00
07/17/2009, 08:25 PM
can i put frogspawn and torch side by side. Even their base touching each other? or is that bad. i have a rock with big hole. i am planning to put frogspawn and torch both on the same hole. is that ok?

aquainas
07/17/2009, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't....the risk outweighs the convenience.

Kent D.
07/17/2009, 09:41 PM
For the most part I have not had any issues with the two touching each other in my tanks. I have several Euphyllia in one tank and they touch alot with no issues. But I have heard some torches sometimes bother other frogs or hammers. Overall I would not worry about it but I would watch them in the begining. If the torch tenticles look like they are sticking or stinging, then move it. I have though seen one of my lobo's overnite kill another lobo with a spider-like web. So, I would not be too worried but if your concerned, watch them.

ReefHotSpot
07/18/2009, 01:01 PM
It is usually not a problem. I keep them together all the time. There have been rare instances when the torch will bother the frog but that is uncommon. You would be able to see it right away because the frog would slime and close. Never let them touch most other types of LPS. They would be goners immediately.

MrPike
07/18/2009, 10:10 PM
It is usually not a problem. I keep them together all the time. There have been rare instances when the torch will bother the frog but that is uncommon. You would be able to see it right away because the frog would slime and close. Never let them touch most other types of LPS. They would be goners immediately.

+1

KromiX
07/19/2009, 01:15 PM
Mine don't like eachother... Torch > Frogspawn

guinness0514
07/21/2009, 02:44 PM
I had my torch smack my frog and two pods died. I wouldn't try it. both are agressive by nature

luigisacs
07/21/2009, 08:41 PM
They are both Euphyllia's therefore they can interact without damage. Its in Julien Sprungs book if you need a reference.

RokleM
07/22/2009, 06:11 AM
I haven't read that book, but if that is the exact info, sorry it's wrong in my opinion (and many others).

Many types of euphyllia can be placed near each other. What we classify as "torches" typically seem to have a more potent sting than other common ones (hammer, frog, etc). Hammers an hammers, frogs and frogs, hammers and frogs typically work out well, however torch and others typically will result in fighting. Results may vary as it's a very wide classification. You'll find many instances of this on the forum.

As a matter of fact, a BTA typically kills everything period. One of my torches goes toe to toe with my GBTA on a daily basis.

Zire
07/22/2009, 08:21 PM
I think it might be a little hit or miss with torches, mine is quite aggressive. I once moved it so that it was touching my hammer and then didn't get a chance to see the tank for half a day, when I came back the side of the hammer touching the torch was completely closed. I can't speak for every specimen, but I can say my torch is definitely a bully.

bekindtoyurbuds
07/26/2009, 05:32 AM
I recently had a frogspawn fall onto one of my torch corals and didn't notice it till the next morning,

The torch coral receded and died within a day or two, frog spawn is still doing fine

k9gunner
07/26/2009, 09:44 PM
Hammer and frog and touch, torch can not.

c-me-fish
07/26/2009, 11:55 PM
My torch kills everything around it... so far one frogspawn, gsp patch, rbta, and even a teal challice frag that was at the other end of the tank... a small polyp got picked up by the powerhead and got flung across the tank :(