PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove super glue from acrylic safely?

troybowers1
07/18/2009, 03:43 PM
I couldn't have done it if I tried. As I was about to glue a piece of Pachylavaria star polyps to the rock in the 3 gallon nano at the library where I work, I accidentally dripped some of the excess super glue onto the front of the acrylic tank when placing it. To make matters worse my first reaction was to wipe as much of the glue off as possible with the only thing I had at hand...my hand. So not only did I glue the palm of my hand to the front of the tank (obviously I got it off with a little bit of pain and loss of a few skin layers) but what was left has created a small (2"x3") splotch mark where there is still a small amount of super glue (and about 3 layers of my skin) left on the front of the tank. I've tried to research whether or not acetone (nail polish remover) will harm the acrylic in any way. Keep in mind this is very soft and cheap acrylic. Paper towels will scratch it so I have to use a microfiber cloth to clean the inside of tank when necessary. Anyone know If I can just use some nail polish remover with that microfiber cloth to get it off?

troylee
07/18/2009, 04:06 PM
Don't use any chemicals....honestly the only thing you can really do is scratch it off with a razor blade, then sand and polish.....it sucks but really the only safe thing you can do...acetone will eat the acrylic....as will windex and 409 and a lot of others.....people don't think it will but it does.....ask "acrylics" if you doubt me.... I have personally never cleaned a acrylic tank with anything besides water or novus#1..hth...

mr pink floyd
07/18/2009, 04:52 PM
superglue actually melts acrylic, it would be like spilling weld-on on the front of the tank.

there is probably very little you could do to make it perfect again

BeanAnimal
07/18/2009, 04:52 PM
As troylee has mentioned, you should not use ANY chemicals to try and remove the superglue. It has bonded to the acrylic and the only way to remove it is mechanically. Once it is removed you will have to go through the painstaking steps of sanding and polishing that section of the tank. If you need step by step instructions and a list of needed supplies, just let us know.