PDA

View Full Version : High volume filters

insane
07/18/2009, 07:11 PM
I will be building a new 135g SPS reef from scratch and plan on 1,000gph flow (7.4 x turnover). I am thinking of installing a double unit high pressure mechanical/chemical filter inline on my return with 100 micron poly screen cartridge.
This is the style.
http://www.illinimastini.com/reef/nuclear.jpg
It measures 13" wide x 13" tall for a single unit. 26" tall for the double with 8" needed for clearance to remove cartridge.

They state that a single one will do a 90g tank with a 1,200gph flow rate and a double will do a 180g. It has both ¾” and 1” inputs/outputs, pressure gauge and drain port. I plan on using a return pump rated at about 1,200gph at 4’ head with 1” ports and a 1” return line split to two ¾” bulkheads. Each ¾” bulkhead split to two ½” loc-line with flare nozzles to get my 1,000gph.

What do you guys/gals think? I want to avoid having a half dozen pumps running and as always, limited space next to an unusual sized glass sump I designed and am building. I think using a double unit like this will help with not reducing flow too much. Also, do you think the loc-line configuration can handle 250gph for each nozzle?

Everything is still in process of design so all parts are flexible at this point as to filter, lines, pumps, bulkheads, etc.
Any suggestions/warnings would be appreciated.

Thanks
Frank

GSMguy
07/18/2009, 07:35 PM
those are not for reef tanks.

you need a protein skimmer.

7.4x turnover is too much for most sumps and too little to keep fish and corals healthy that is why most of us use less flow thru the sump and have powerheads or closed loops in the tank.

insane
07/18/2009, 08:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15375848#post15375848 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
those are not for reef tanks.

you need a protein skimmer.

7.4x turnover is too much for most sumps and too little to keep fish and corals healthy that is why most of us use less flow thru the sump and have powerheads or closed loops in the tank.

The 7.4x turnover will be in addition to a vortech mp40w. Protein skimmer is a given, will be a Reef Octopus Extreme 200. Sump will be custom 30x24x18 or possibly even 30x30x18 which will also have a fuge in it. The main reason I was thinking about that filter is for the chemical filtration using carbon for polishing. They do make that same type of cannister with only chemical filtration. Would that be better? Even if it only was filled with carbon when needed and kept empty the rest of the time. Possibly even use it with half bioballs and the other half for carbon as needed. I want to concentrate on SPS and have a gyre wave. I don't want to pack the tank with tons of live rock but have more of an open bottom pyramid of live rock. Like a spider with 4 legs as the tank will be 36" square x 24" tall.

rezaktp
07/18/2009, 10:44 PM
Use carbon in a reactor and a filter sock, remember these mechanical filters are known as "Nitrate Factories" in reef tanks!

just dave
07/18/2009, 11:50 PM
I have nine such units in operation ( a mixture of Nuclear and Ocean Clear ) and IMO they have their uses in reef tanks as well as fish only tanks. I run mine on bypass legs so they have no effect on system output when they start to clog and I can service them without shutting the systems down. A mechanical filter is a mechanical filter whether it's pleated,filter floss, felt sock, or whatever. The problems arise when they are not kept clean and units that are harder to service may end up being serviced less. Though one could argue that the use of filter socks could also be serviced less even though they are easy to remove and service due to the fact that in most applications when they clog the do not cause a decrease in system performance and for that reason may be ignored. I use mine mostly for carbon. When I do use the pleated cartridges it is for a short term. Even when they are used with carbon they will become a mechanical filter ( they will hold about seven pounds of carbon when full.) I prefer the Ocean Clear units as long as the can be mounted using their mounting feet. There is a larger unit out by Patriot Filters.

insane
07/19/2009, 08:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15376767#post15376767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by just dave
I have nine such units in operation ( a mixture of Nuclear and Ocean Clear ) and IMO they have their uses in reef tanks as well as fish only tanks. I run mine on bypass legs so they have no effect on system output when they start to clog and I can service them without shutting the systems down. A mechanical filter is a mechanical filter whether it's pleated,filter floss, felt sock, or whatever. The problems arise when they are not kept clean and units that are harder to service may end up being serviced less. Though one could argue that the use of filter socks could also be serviced less even though they are easy to remove and service due to the fact that in most applications when they clog the do not cause a decrease in system performance and for that reason may be ignored. I use mine mostly for carbon. When I do use the pleated cartridges it is for a short term. Even when they are used with carbon they will become a mechanical filter ( they will hold about seven pounds of carbon when full.) I prefer the Ocean Clear units as long as the can be mounted using their mounting feet. There is a larger unit out by Patriot Filters.

I like the bypass option. Are you using your units on seperate tanks or in series or paralell? Which types do you use? Mechanical only, mechanical plus chemical, mechanical with UV, chemical only, biological only or empty? I liked the NuClear because you can extend them. Now I am thinking 2 seperate units with bypass on one used for occasional chemical filtration while using another for biological only filtration. Probably filling it with live rock rubble that is large enough to not get compacted. So much for simplified plumbing! LOL

In the past I had mainly relied on live rock for biological filtration and being how I want to do this reef with considerably less live rock I know I need to boost the biological filtration up a notch or two. I had also kept plenty of live rock in the sumps input because it got the most oxygen there. I do not want to use a wet/dry.

I won't be using filter socks because I want everything to go through the fuge to feed it. I prefer doing target feedings with all pumps off (15 minutes) and cycling them on for a few seconds and off again (15 minutes) after the initial feeding to distribute the foods in the tank. Once pumps are turned back on I want the remaining food to go into the fuge, then to the skimmer to remove the excess. I did it like this 3 times a week on my last reef.

I have looked at reactors but they cannot handle a very high flow, at least not the ones I have seen. I want to keep my return line and fittings all at 1" until I split it to the two 3/4" bulkeads.

Besides proper filtration, my main goal is reduction of number of pumps needed (electricity used, additional plumbing, space taken up and heat added). Same as with a UV. I have to over size it to have it inline with the flow I want to achieve while having it be able to do the job intended. Am considering the 40watt Gama UV with 2" slip input/output and 2880gph flow rate. Rated for a 200g tank.

just dave
07/19/2009, 10:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15377619#post15377619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by insane
I like the bypass option. Are you using your units on seperate tanks or in series or paralell? Which types do you use? Mechanical only, mechanical plus chemical, mechanical with UV, chemical only, biological only or empty?

Some are separate and some are in series. Mechanical and chemical. The mechanical units are used temporarily and empty most of the time.

dennisdeng2002
07/20/2009, 09:51 PM
Anyone know what kind of restriction two canisters would create, IE in terms of head height?

dennisdeng2002
07/21/2009, 11:34 AM
Bump, I really need some kind of ballpark answer, I don't want to end up buying a really over/under sized pump