PDA

View Full Version : Blew my ballast

kcinminni2
07/18/2009, 09:59 PM
Okay. It's a long story on how it happened, but basically my ballast got wet and blew. I have (had?) a Cadlights 24" 150W HQI MH +2 25W T5HO + 2 LED Moonlights. Now the entire fixture doesn't work.

Any idea if this is fixable? And if so to whom or where do I take it? Or do I have to buy a whole new fixture?

Crummy day, to say the least.

iamwrasseman
07/18/2009, 10:20 PM
you can check each component seperatly and determine the type of problems the water has caused . all parts are serviceable and easily obtained online ,from the manufacturer or at your local electrical store but they will probably have to order the parts .mine can get parts in 24 hrs for most of them .

Mike31154
07/19/2009, 05:23 PM
Each lighting type, MH, T5, LED will have it's own ballast/power supply. If none are working, the whole fixture may be fused or have a circuit breaker somewhere upstream of all these components. Is this 'ballast' you're referring to external to the fixture?

insane
07/19/2009, 05:55 PM
Unplug and disconnect any wiring then open your ballast. If there are capacitors (about the size of a salt shaker) do not touch them as they store electricity. Look where your main wires come into the box for a wire that is blown in two. The heat from ballast can dry out the insulation on a wire over time and cause tiny cracks. It is through these little cracks that electricity can arc to the closest metal object. A little bump or drop of water can bridge a gap between a cracked wire and a metal surface thereby blowing the wire in two. Also look for signs of charring/burning and that will give you an idea where exactly to look. You can also smell it if a wire has blown like that. It will smell burnt. Be carefull if you adjust wires as more cracks can form.

I just got a free 72" fixture w/ two 400w MH + one 250w MH + 2 96w PC simply because a single wire blew like that. It took me about 10 seconds to figure out what it was but I couldn't tell my sisters husband because he just bought her a new $1,500.00 Geisman to replace it.

If you have multiple plugs for multiple circuits and none of the circuits work, go for the white (Neutral) wires first as they are common and are usually all connected together no matter how many power cords you have. Hope this helps.

sps1206
07/19/2009, 11:17 PM
I would definately follow insane's advice, it may just be a simple bridge you need to solder. As previously mentioned, defiately be careful of the capacators!