PDA

View Full Version : help- calcium reactor co2 overdose

MBasile
07/19/2009, 09:11 PM
my reactor went crazy and dumped tons of co2 in my tank. my fish are dead or barely hanging on and i dont want to lose my corals

I have some bubblers going to raise the O2, added a bit of kalk for ph, and am doing water changes. what else can i do?

Thanks

ReefWreak
07/19/2009, 09:22 PM
it probably shot your alkalinity through the roof as well as raising the CO2. Water changes are best I imagine. i don't know what counters high alkalinity other than water changes.

don't add kalk, as it'll still be adding additional alkalinity I imagine.

Was there media in the reactor? It should have melted first off. Your sand should help in buffering the pH a little bit too, but aerating the tank is a great idea too.

MBasile
07/19/2009, 09:32 PM
it actually was coming out with such force it went from the bubble counter and then back into the main pump, which is supposed to give water to the reactor. so, my main pump was just blasting co2 into the main tank.

tmz
07/19/2009, 11:43 PM
What is your ph now ?Don't think your alkalinity rose much via kalk dose given the amount of carbonic acid produced by the CO2. kThe hydroxide in kalk will suck up CO2 and form carbonate which will help buffer some of the acid.What is your alk now?I would get it to the 7.8 neighborhood as soon as possible to prevent your rock and coral skeletal mass from disolving.

Increasing surface agitation as much as you can will help. Airstones , not just powerheads unless they have a venturi. If you still need more . I think some hydrogen peroxide might help but need to do a search on it to be sure of the specifics.