PDA

View Full Version : Odyssea T5 Lights

Cracken
07/19/2009, 10:15 PM
I am wanting to hear all stories about the Odyssea T5 light fixtures. Specifically

The Odyssea 48" 216W (4x 54W) T5 HO Light Fixture Professional.

Thanks for commenting.

skimmy
07/19/2009, 11:01 PM
well, considering that they finally have individual reflectors in them now, a built in programmable timer, moon lights, and cooling fans, even if it's crappy ballasts and bulbs it's still an insane deal @ $100. if you had to, you could get some better quality ballasts for cheap and some guiesemann bulbs and you'd be stylin.
I'm waiting for the "24 pro version to try out on my 15g nano. it's only 12" deep so even if the fixture is complete crap, it wont much matter....lol
hell even the regular fixture with a single reflector probably would be fine for 12".

sedor
07/19/2009, 11:14 PM
I'm a pretty firm believer in you get what you pay for. I have never heard anything good about Odyssea lighting. Most people are simply unhappy with them and upgrade quickly after, but i've heard stories of the halide fixtures catching fire.

Ya, its only $100, but then again thats $100 that could go towards a good fixture. Just my $.02

skimmy
07/19/2009, 11:35 PM
you know, these fixtures have been out for over 6 years now, and while ONE person may have had a fire like 5 versions of the fixture ago it's really stupid to keep saying that "oh, they catch fire..." and were talking t5 here, not m.h....big difference...I mean really, these fixtures might as well be coralife fixtures, the quality is the same...is there better???
of course!!! you would be much better off with a ATI, TEK, or guissemann fixtures, but these do not catch fire, and not everyone can afford $500-700 for a sweet fixture... if you can, then great, go get one. but if not then I say give the odyssea a shot.

Cracken
07/20/2009, 01:50 PM
bump

nvdiz
07/20/2009, 02:11 PM
i dont know if this will help, but....

i own a odyssea 48" MH fixture and love it. Looks and works great!

Only thing is the MH bulbs it came with are 15k giving a yellowish look, but not noticable at all with actinics on.

I'm sure the T5 fixtures are worth trying. As for the you get what you pay for... There are exceptions, one being Wendy's value menu!

iggygrl76
07/20/2009, 02:11 PM
I have the 24" inch one with 4 t5's in it one cord no timer 2 night viewing leds (rather dim) but I like it. Does just fine for my lil 20L tank. I took out the plexi over the bulbs because it kept the heat in the fixture just to hot without it its fine.

I even have accidentally had it slip into my tank during maintance I got a good lil zap trying to retrieve it but I quick pulled the plug pulled it out dried it off and it works just fine still.