PDA

View Full Version : bta question

dudley moray
07/19/2009, 11:22 PM
a couple of weeks ago my bta lost a tentacle i thought nothing of it well the other day it lost another i am wondering if anyone else has seen this is it normal the only cause i can see or assume is the waving action tangles and twists them around to the point they break off much the same as castrating a bull any input would be helpful

Airwolf75
07/19/2009, 11:48 PM
Natural behavior, they throw tentacles. There is some debate as to why, but they will intentionally pinch of a tentacle and send it floating. I heard it's a means to attack a neighbor, maybe to shed a parasite, maybe preparing to divide or maybe it's full of something destined for another anemone.

My 4 used to do it all the time, then they quit. I did install an ozonator, coincidence? I like to think I removed the chemicals secreted by other corals that were causing the behavior, but that's just the best guess I could come up with.

The tentacles never seem to turn into another anemone, but they sometimes last a few days.

dudley moray
07/20/2009, 05:49 PM
thank you i guessed it wasn't bad because the nem still looks and acts healthy but now that i think back this all began when he started getting close to an acro that ive since moved because they were starting to touch

Airwolf75
07/20/2009, 11:15 PM
Sweet, It's interesting that in both our cases, other corals seem to be the cause.