PDA

View Full Version : I need to pick Kevins brain

agreeive?fish
07/20/2009, 11:10 AM
Kevin,

Please boldy/strongly correct me if iam wrong specificly on scribbled and personifer angels.

from my understanding(wich is extreemly limited to say the least) angels are born female and transition to male as needed.

if i was to buy 2 small juvis and raised them in the same tank could i assume with any certainty that eventually i would have a male and a female?

I have considered the personifer pair on divers den the male is absolutly beautiful but the female has got to be the ugliest fish i have ever seen (sorry)

Thank you
Dennis

dfs/la2
07/20/2009, 03:27 PM
agreeive?fish,

Thank you for your post. Your inquiry has been forwarded to the Director of our Aquaculture Coral & Marine Life Facility for response. We appreciate your patience while we check into this for you.

Mike S.
LiveAquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com)
Drs. Foster and Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com)

agreeive?fish
07/20/2009, 04:18 PM
Ok thanks..iam in absolutly no hurry so time is not an issue

DFS
07/20/2009, 06:05 PM
Dennis,
Angelfish of the Genus Chaetodontoplus are thought to be protogynous hermaphrodites, starting life as females, and the most dominant fish shifting sex to male.

I have never read or hear any reports of these fishes transitioning from female to male in a captive environment, nor have I ever observed this myself.

Finding tiny juvenile specimens is challenging as these fish are rarely harvested at a tiny size. On occasions we do see smaller Chaetodontoplus duboulayi that lack most of the markings on the side of the fish, but it is very rare to see juvenile Chaetodontoplus meredithi. Most False Personifer Angelfish and Scribbled Angelfish are harvested in the 3" and up range.

Chaetodontoplus duboulayi is normally found singly in the wild, and occasionally pairs or small loose groups.

Chaetodontoplus meredithi is normally found in pairs or small harems consisting of one male and several females in the wild.

Unless you have a very large aquarium I would not recommend trying to maintain several females of one of these species as they oftentimes will post a threat to one another in a confined space. If you do have a very large aquarium, then perhaps an odd number of one species in a small group may be your best option, but I would be prepared to remove one or more submissive fish if things start to turn for the worse.

Regards,

agreeive?fish
07/20/2009, 08:13 PM
Kevin

Thanks for the info as usual you are very informative in your replys.

Ill just get a single be it male or female and be happy.. because i doubt even my tiny 7x2 tank would be big enough