PDA

View Full Version : Dwark Angels and Flukes

NexDog
07/20/2009, 06:30 PM
PraziPro seems to be teh medicine of choice for large angels with their proneness to flukes. Are dwarf angels very susceptible too? I ask because I'm getting a Potters pair in a few days. :)

LargeAngels
07/21/2009, 06:46 AM
I treat ALL fish for flukes these days. I have seen flukes on (on the eyes as that is about the only time you can see them) potters and venustus around here.

Gwynhidwy
07/21/2009, 06:55 AM
Yes, dwarf angels are prone to flukes. I also treat all of my fish for flukes, angel or otherwise. Flukes are tough because often they are invisible to the naked eye, both on and off the fish. Many people rely on the freshwater dip to remove flukes, however it is my understanding that this is not effective for all types of flukes because some lay their eggs directly on the fish and the dip does not harm the eggs. Then the eggs hatch and your fish is reinfected.

NexDog
07/21/2009, 07:56 AM
Okay, cheers for the input. I'll make sure it's part of the regular QT cycle.

But surely hypo would kill flukes?

LargeAngels
07/21/2009, 08:00 AM
Hypo does not always work on flukes, unfortunately. Only thing Hypo does reliably work on is ich. Copper also does not always work on flukes either.

NexDog
07/21/2009, 08:03 AM
Guess I've been lucky with flukes so far but I certainly want to add PraziPro to my QT regime in the future. If I could just find somewhere other than Dr Fosters and Smith that will ship it international. Sucks that MD or PA don't carry it. :(

LargeAngels
07/21/2009, 08:26 AM
5% praziquantel by weight is the main ingredient. I'm surprised you can't get Hikari products there.