PDA

View Full Version : New exquisite wrasse - what to expect

LobsterOfJustice
07/20/2009, 08:24 PM
Hey all,

Picked up a new exquisite wrasse yesterday and I have a few questions. Mainly - how long until it stops hiding, and do they bury in the sand?

For several (30?) minutes after introduction to the tank, he swam with his nose against the front glass. Then for the rest of the night he layed next to a rock. For the first few hours of today I found him hiding in the rocks - I could see him breathing calmly and his eye moving. Now, I can't find him. That doesnt sound that bad, but I don't have much rock in my tank - until now I was convinced there wasn't a single place in my tank a fish that large could hide. The only place I can't see is under the sand. I know some wrasses bury - would an exquisite? I already checked the floor around the tank, but there's no way he could get out anyway (canopy with completely screened in back).

The only other similar wrasse I've ever owned was a solarensis - and he swam with his nose against the side of the tank for a few days until being normal. I've really never had a fish take this long to come out and act normal - even though its only been 26 hours I'm still worried.

snorvich
07/20/2009, 08:26 PM
What else is in the tank?

LobsterOfJustice
07/20/2009, 08:37 PM
Anthias, chromis, pair of zebra dartfish, clowns, candy hog, pgymy hawk, misc gobies. And a multicolor angel which was introduced at the same time.

euod
07/20/2009, 09:49 PM
I do not think your other fish pose a problem to your shy exquisite. Mine also hid in the rocks for a week due to an aggressive mystery wrasse before coming out.

flameangel88
07/21/2009, 05:03 AM
I've a female in a BB without any problem and only goes into the rocks during bedtime. It took mine a couple of days to come out and now she swims in the open all day long.

Bernie21
07/21/2009, 08:43 AM
My scotts Hid at first, now swims non stop, I just got him too!!!

LobsterOfJustice
07/21/2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys. I'm just confused as to where he's hiding then. I've got minimal rockwork, I can see in 3 of the four sides of the tank, the rock is not stacked against the back. I mean, I've got two porcelain crabs and a harlequin shrimp in here and even they can't hide from me, I can always find them somewhere. Where the heck is this 4" fish hiding?

BonesCJ
07/21/2009, 10:50 AM
you'd be amazed the spaces those fish can fit into, my tamarin wrasse can slip through a 1/2inch slit in a plastic bag.

LobsterOfJustice
07/21/2009, 11:28 AM
He's out!! I'll post pictures later on... he's freaking gorgeous. Until now the only thing in my tank that could hide from me was a 1" tiger goby.

LobsterOfJustice
07/21/2009, 11:45 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/LobsterOfJustice/7-21-09exquisite.jpg

This is the only shot I could get. He backed off a little after I snapped this, and I didnt want him to get scared and go missing for another two days so I'm not going to push my luck. He looks even better in person!