PDA

View Full Version : skimmer stand

wantacookie
07/20/2009, 10:57 PM
Here's a picture to give you an idea of what I'm working with...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/evoenvy/IMG_0341.jpg

Should I glue the fittings and pipe together, or leave it loose? If I glue them, do I drill holes in it or keep it airtight?

I also purchased some UV resistant zip ties. Is this the best way to attach the piece of egg crate to the PVC structure?

Also, I was thinking of using a DCB (Deep Cat Bed) in my refugium. Any negative effects?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/evoenvy/IMG_0339.jpg

uncleof6
07/20/2009, 11:17 PM
That cat bed ain't got enough fleas, so don't think it will work too good......

zip ties are handy items. Myself, I would seal the pipe--- keep anaerobic areas to a minimum. Just a thought here, but if you need a stand for your skimmer, I am thinking your baffles are too high. Most skimmers work fine in 9" of water, so the bubble trap only needs to be 9" high. You got room for power out drain down?

Jim

wantacookie
07/20/2009, 11:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15387888#post15387888 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uncleof6
That cat bed ain't got enough fleas, so don't think it will work too good......

zip ties are handy items. Myself, I would seal the pipe--- keep anaerobic areas to a minimum. Just a thought here, but if you need a stand for your skimmer, I am thinking your baffles are too high. Most skimmers work fine in 9" of water, so the bubble trap only needs to be 9" high. You got room for power out drain down?

Jim

My concern with gluing them is that if it somehow got a hole that the stagnant water in the pipes would cause a problem. The PVC primer and glue should take care of that worry, I guess. I'm gonna seal 'em. Thanks.

As for the drain down... I think(hope) I do have enough room. I used a couple of the calculators on the front page to attempt to figure out about how much water would drain down out of the display and how much room I have in the sump over the highest baffle. I am really just guessing, at this point, when it comes to how much water will be in the plumbing. It will be close... My anti-siphon holes will be right at the water surface of the display to help as much as possible.

My original thinking was that I would try to get as much extra water volume by making the baffles as high as I could. After gluing them in, it concerns me.

I'm not in a real hurry to get this done. So, I've decided to leave them, and water test when i finish. Worst case scenario, I will just have to pull the baffles out and have them cut down, right?

uncleof6
07/20/2009, 11:53 PM
True, but don't get excited and forget to check the drain down, just a couple or few gallons of water on the floor make a big mess.

J

wantacookie
07/21/2009, 12:05 AM
Will do, thanks for the advice.