PDA

View Full Version : Success in a primarily tang setup?

SSpiro
07/21/2009, 06:44 AM
Wife and I are discussing setting up a 300g sometime in the next 12-18 months. The itch has begun, so the research shall as well.

Tangs are, hands down, our favorite fish. We currently have 3 in our 125g.

In the 300g, we'd like to add more. How successful could we be with multiple tangs from same families?

Presently we have a purple, scopas, and powder brown.

We'd like to add another purple or two or three, a powder blue, an Achilles, Naso, and perhaps a vlamingi.

I understand how tangs are and how they interact and behave. If introduced at the same time, how successful could we be?

tewkes
07/21/2009, 01:45 PM
I've seen it done before with minimal conflicts. It really depends on the individual fish. Just like people some of us are crazier and have a lot more issues than others.
I would think in a 300g that a few from the same family should be ok. I've seen 2 yellow tangs, 2 purple tangs, and a scopas living together in a 90g before and they appeared to get along (none of them were chasing eachother around or beat up looking).

Untamed12
07/21/2009, 02:43 PM
I think the larger tank makes things easier.

I have the Naso (elegans), the vlamingi, the achilles, and a yellow...and I had the powder brown all in my 400.

You won't have trouble with the Nasos. They are ignored by the other tangs. I would rethink the N. vlamingi. Believe it or not, 300 gallons isn't big enough for very long with the vlamingi. Mine has gone from 1.5 inches to 16"+ in less than 1.5 years.

For the most part, I'm not having any ongoing conflicts. What conflict there is has become just "posing" and "threatening", but with 400 gallons, they go their separate ways before anything too bad happens. Right now, most of that goes on between the achilles and the yellow.

coral_lagoon
07/21/2009, 02:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15391381#post15391381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Untamed12
I would rethink the N. vlamingi. Believe it or not, 300 gallons isn't big enough for very long with the vlamingi. Mine has gone from 1.5 inches to 16"+ in less than 1.5 years.

I was also amazed how fast my vlamingi grew in my 200gallon. It puts some freshwater fish to shame..