PDA

View Full Version : Remote locating skimmer..

SSpiro
07/21/2009, 07:07 AM
Thoughts on remote location of an external skimmer?

Because of the size of an external, I'm thinking about plumbing to the garage. Leaving the sump in the stand still..

Setup theory being that i'd plumb a drain line from the tank to a pump behind the tank, up the wall, over in the ceiling by about 12 feet, then down a wall in the garage into the skimmer. Out the skimmer, back in to another pump, up the wall, over in the ceiling 12 feet again, then back down the wall behind the tank and in to the sump.

I could always upgrade the return pump and tee off of it in to the wall to feed the skimmer too, I suppose.

Thoughts?

luther1200
07/21/2009, 01:14 PM
I think it would be very difficult to have 2 pumps (1 feed and 1 return) for the skimmer that will sync up. If they aren't sync-ed up the level will either dry up or overflow. At least that is what I think from the explanation, maybe I missed something though.

SSpiro
07/21/2009, 01:42 PM
We started discussing in the local forum too:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1674538

Same thoughts in there.

luther1200
07/21/2009, 02:03 PM
Like they were saying I think a nremote sump would be better. That way if there was a power outage or something the extra water would just flow into the sump, which you would leave room in for just such an ocassion of course. Just like a regular sump except you would have to leave more room because more water would drop into it because of the longer pipe.